Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm wanting to know (preferably step by step), how I can access an Access file I have on one pc via other pc's in the office (upto 3).
I'm running XP pro, and the other pc's are XP home, XP media edition, and there may be a vista home premium.
Access is Access 2002 on all machines.. Having looked around it seems spliting into frontend and backend is the way, but having tried different combinations, i'm stuggling...(Even to how you get a front end). I only have one table(?) if thats the right term, and dont use any of the other objects in the list (queries, forms etc) at the moment..
Having even followed the instuctions on microsoft support site, still no joy.(Didn't think I was that daft..but looks like I am)
Thanks in Advance
Dave

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Network the computers and have the file on which ever computer acts as the main one, if all running from a server than place the file on a server and give permisions for all to access it.

This front end back end business I have looked up it sounds to complicated for my liking I would have thought it would be better if all are needing access to it to just design access as to the needs of the job and have it in one place.

As some might just need to refer to it for information and maybe print from it but its not there job to update the information there for no permission to add to it.

Will be waiting to see what others think of this one, looking forward to learning.

Then again i have never hooked up computers with different versions of a OS

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
ozzie, I agree completely, there is absolutely no need to "Split" the database.
Dave, the problem that you have appears to be the networking and Folder accessing rights of the users and nothing to do with Access itself. That is the area that you need to fix, can you share any Folders on those other Computers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.. I already have the computers networked and can access shared files between them..but when I try to connect to an Access file the reply I get is:

"Microsoft Access cannot open this file.
This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. Microsoft Access will ot open the file due to potential security problems.
To open the file, copy it to your machine or an accessible network location"

If I put an excel file in the same folder, I have no problems opening the file on any other pc and working on it...It just seems to be Access that doesn't like to work this way..

No pc is a server..they're all just linked through the network..

All users have the same permissions, so no need to set these differently..
Thanks Again
Dave

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
From each PC, go to the Access file and right-click on it and go to Properties.
At the bottom, under the Attributes, see if it doesn't say something about it being an untrusted file, and click the button marked Unblock.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yeah, what I was thinking, reckon Slurpee has the right idea there, the file itself, if other files are able to be accessed within the same folder

·
Registered
7,837 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoopie... Thanks to Slurpee... The first link to iamjacksdesign... tried it, and it now is accessible from all pc's...

Problem sorted

(Oh and there is nothing under attributes about untrusted or unlock)

Many Thanks to all
Regards
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.