Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, hello again, you guys are the fastest way to determine if a solution actually exisists for a problem!
Away we go:

Using Access 2000, Report design, for the controls on the report, there is a can grow/can shrink which controls vertical size. Is there a similar property or way to set horizontal size... ie( firstname) in one record the name may be Joe and in another Christopher. I am having trouble formating my report page to accomodate those changes. When the field is large enough to allow "Christopher", then the space between fname/lname for a "joe" type record is enormous.
Advice please, or where or what to look up.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Would a simple 'Align Right' adjustment to the Firstname control holding Joe or Christopher do the trick?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I agree with Mike C - if you justify first name to the right and last name to the left, the gap will be consistant in all names.
However, the first names might look untidy.

If this is no use, the only other suggestion I can think of is to consider combining the first and last name fields into a single "name" field.

Gram

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi lv.

Just to clean it up: as Gram suggests, concatenate your query name fields in a single report control. So, if for example you have two query fields called FirstNm and LastNm, make a report control called txtNmDisplay (or whatever--must not have the same name as either of the underlying fields), and set its control source as follows:
Code:
=[FirstNm] & " " & [LastNm]
The "=" is important, because it tells Access that you're making an expression rather than looking for a field with that unwieldy name.

In some cases this kind of stuff won't be sufficient, because you won't have one or the other, and you won't want spaces. If, say, you have some blank last names, make this the control source instead:
Code:
=[FirstNm] & (" "+[LastNm])
The "+" says to Access: if LastNm is a blank field (called a null value), don't add the space.

Of course, you can also directly concatenate (fancy word meaning "put together", by the way) the fields in the underlying query, and then set the control source to the name of the query field. So, for example, in a query column you would have
Code:
NmDisplay: [FirstNm] & (" "+[LastNm])
and then on the report you would set the control source to NmDisplay.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Cheers Down. That's actually a much 'cleaner' way of doing what I suggested.

lynn_victoria - Down's way is the best way (as usual).

Gram

·
Registered
912 Posts
And thanks from me too Down,
I have a large database here and all dates and times have to be split into their smallest components for analysis purposes.
Up to now the cumulative reports have looked real messy.

This cocatenation (luvvly word) is so good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.