Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my hard drive is registering incorrectly. it says it's 6GB in some places and in others about 55GB. i'm not sure whats going on. help would be greatly welcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i go to my computer and click on C: in the left box it says 6GB. if i right click my computer and go to manage it says 37GB +12GB for D: and 5GB for a unnamed volume.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i gained 4.5GB because i couldn't get into one of the partitions so i deleted it and made a new one. but in the computer management screen it says C:= 37GB, but if i hit properties it says 6GB. i'm not sure what to do...

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You need to crop the display to just the useful information, we don't need to see the whole desktop. Also, a shot of what Disk Management says about the file would be a lot more useful. I can see that you have your boot partition much too small for XP, 6gigs won't get it done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry mabey this is better. i can't find microsoft photo editer. adn my posts will be slow cuz i'm grounded from PC so sorry. here's the new 1:)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok tell me how to make it bigger on "PAINT". i'm stumped.

BTW can i control what part of the hard drive boots?? u might be on to something....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok ignore the tell me how to crop thing. just load the pic and click the + thing and it should enlarge it plenty. it worked for me. and it worked 4 both pics. :)

·
Super Moderator
46,565 Posts
What you need to post is a screenshot of disk management. Go to start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes. Post a shot of that. It will show the size of your disk and what partitions you have.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Your drive is a typical 60gig drive, and it's partitioned into four volumes. My guess is Z: may be the recovery partition, or was before you deleted it and recreated it. This is a "store bought" computer like an HP, Compaq, Dell, or Gateway, right?

·
Banned
772 Posts
Most likely, judging by the "Backup" partition. Which is my point right now... why are there now two backup/recovery partitions? Or are they completely different, and I just never knew it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i got the computer which is a dell from ebay. drive Z: was originaly just there with no icon in the my computer screen and it was unnamed in the disk manage screen. i could click on it but couldn't do anything but delete or nothing. so i deleted it and made it Z:..... i think D:[backup] was the recovery one but i don't know for sure...

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, I suspect that Drive Z: was your recovery partition with the copy of XP to restore to factory configuration. A recovery partition will not be NTFS, and will not have much free space left, since the contents never change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.