Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Via Control Panel I note that I have TWO .NET Framework SP 2 entries. One is 183MB, the other 179MB. Both are shown as used RARELY. An attempt to 'Repair' tells me that they are both unavailable on my PC [?].

I also have a .NET 3.5 SP1 of approximately 28 MB.

I do not have or intend to have a Web-site. I do not Publish and I have no relatives so no Games or gadgets.

Leaving one final question following my attempt to understand what Microsoft say .NET if for. DO I NEED THEM/ Can I uninstall all of them?

·
Super Moderator
43,959 Posts
it can be used for many things, one of which it came up for me when I was installing a poker program that tracks my notes/moves etc.

My guess is that if you remove it, something will not work. Where it says rarely, I believe it's the actual file that you would normally click on, but if you are using a different program to access it, or if you use a CD etc, then it would not register as being used. Most of my stuff is like that.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Think of .NET Framework like Java. You don't write Java programs, but you may use software that utilizes Java functionality. Same thing with .NET Framework. It provides a code base that other programs can reference. Having them installed doesn't harm anything, but removing them certainly could by causing other programs not to function.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.