Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a 64 bit Vista Home Premium SP2 IE8. Up until about 8 days ago everything was fine, then one day I clicked on my IE short cut and it would tell me Internet Explorer couldn't display web site. I clicked on the diagnose problem tab and it says there weren't any. I can open IE in 64 bit and access the Internet, but none of the add ons will work in 64 bit. There were not any recent add ons or anything that had been downloaded when the problem started, only an update from Microsoft. Besides my add ons not working, now neither will my printer. I have downloaded FireFox and that allows me to access the sites that need Directx and Flash, but amazingly, any microsoft site or any site that needs to access Directx or Flash in order to try and diagnose what is wrong with the computer are not compatable with FireFox. Microsoft Fix It isn't compatable with 64 bit. I have tried to restore, a scan now, a cmd command and a netsh winsock reset and so far nothing is working. It is almost as if the computer no longer recoginizes the 32 bit part of the OS. It will not allow me to designate IE in 32 bit as my default either, acutally it only shows 64 bit as the default, 32 bit isn't even listed as an option. I also had a Microsoft tech give me a long list of directions on how to change the path and all I got was a message of 'Required request needs elevation'. :confused: My computer was bought at Best Buy and did not come with a recovery disc, so I don't have the option of using a disc to try and fix this. Any help or instructions on how to fix this would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already tried the restore. I took it back 10, which was a few days before the problem started to happen and it didn't work. Now my restore will only go back 5 days, even though I click the box to show restore points from longer than 5 days ago...that is all it will show.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Page 21 of this document shows you how to create a set of gateway recovery discs, use these to restore your PC to factory condition, be sure to back up important data, as I am sure these recovery discs will erase all user data on the drive when used.

Create both discs, the Factory and the Driver/Application disc's, boot from the Factory Disc to start the restore process.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/8513015.pdf

all your documents for future reference.
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/DX/DX4710/DX4710nv.shtml

I found that PDF under "User Guides">"Gateway Starter Guide with E Recovery"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mumbodog....THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I can't explain why I didn't even think to look for that recovery in the Gateway folder. BLAH!! Since I don't know what caused the problem in the first place, I did a complete recovery (I don't do anything very important on my computer, so I let it wipe it completely) and then made the recovery discs. I will be ready next time. ;) Now I am loading everything back on one thing at a time and hopefully all goes well. Again, Thank You very much!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.