Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back my computer started issuing one long beep instead of booting. Nothing would come on screen, it just beeped.

So I was told that long beeps mean memory errors. I switched out the ram but it did no good. I switched out the video card,motherboard and powersupply for good measure, but the damn thing is still beepiong at me.Considering that the Hard Drive and DVD/DVDRW/Floppy Disk should not affect the boot process at all, I have to assume that it's my processor.

However, I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I was forgetting before I plop down money for a new processor.Could it be anything else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Just a black screen. You'd think that after replacing all that stuff I must have fixed it by elimination, but apparently not.

So, does anyone have any other ideas? I'd really, really, really, really like to avoid any other useless work on my part, or money wasted.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Processor failure is rare, and it would be the last component I would suspect as the problem. I would go back to basic troubleshooting. If the machine won't post, it will not boot.

I would pull the board, and place it on a non conductive surface and see if the machine will POST with just the basics necessary for POST, i.e. power supply, board, processor, one stick of memory, video card and monitor. If you have onboard video use it instead of the card.

Some specs on the machine would be helpful such as; EXACT make, model and revision (if applicable of the board), EXACT processor, EXACT make and model of the power supply. Please post a link to these components.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any time I had a processor problem (mainly incompatability) the machine would shut down. Try starting without memory or graphics card, separately not both at once, and see if the beep changes. If you get the same beep with either missing it is that which is causing your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.