Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never knew I was slow. I connected this SMC7004BR 4-port router a few years ago (PC Club), was on Earthlink DSL and now Adelphia Cable. My download speed has always been 100-300 bps, on the slow side for DSL and really slow for CABLE. Then I tried direct connect to the cable modem without the router and BAM!, 800-1500 bps on several different test sites. So, Why is the router such a drag on the speed? Is this normal? Any ideas what I can change or check? Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Check to see if the router has a new firmware release and upgrade the router if possible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you advised, I downloaded the most recent firmware available from SMC (196.h2) and upgraded the router. If there is an improvement in throughput speed, it is marginal. Thanks for the idea though. Any others? Is there always going to be a noticeable slowdown when a router is placed in the loop?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I guess I will do that, my son at college is telling me the same thing. Just wanted to see if routers are known to kill the speed this way. I guess mine is just bad that way. Thanks again. M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.