Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an IT person for my local library. We installed an SMCWSHG44-G wireless hot spot gateway. The gateway allows you to setup an authentication system internal to the device or use a Radius server. We are using the built in authentication system. There is no wireless security on the device. The device is supposed to automatically redirect people who connect to the gateway to an authentication page. On this page they have to put in a supplied user name and password. The user name for everyone is the same and the password for everyone is the same. Most of the time this happens flawlessly. The person is authenticated and then redirected a second time to an internal web server with a terms and conditions page that they must agree to in order to use the wireless internet. In a few cases we have noticed that the redirection doesn't happen. We have seen these problems in Windows Vista SP1 and with Windows XP both SP2 and SP3 (home or pro). We have also seen that if they get to the authentication page and input the password incorrectly it is supposed to redirect them to re-enter the password and allow them to continue browsing the internet but it doesn't. If they don't authenticate then they can't use the internet at the library. Our system consists of the wireless gateway as well as two additional access points wired to the gateway. This allows us to have greater coverage in the building. The gateway is then wired to the rest of the network and the traffic is redirected through a filter. The filter is Dan's Guardian running on a Linux box. The internet connection is a 6 meg DSL connection from ATT and there is also a Widows 2003 server acting as a file server and web server (only inside the building). Please let me know what could be causing this redirection issue.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.