Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm planning a small network for a small business. I have a wireless router and a wired router. I want to share the network connection between all 3 computers in the office.

The DSL goes into the wireless router, and the signal is sent out over the office via wireless. I want to keep the DSL modem and wireless router where they are, but I was wondering if I would be able to connect a switch or router via ethernet from the wireless router, which would make it possible to share my internet connection to the computers in the office.

If that's possible, is it better to get a switch for this or another router? I know that a router includes firewall and a switch simply sends the data between computers, but if I have firewall on the wireless router that gets the data from the internet, do I need to get another router, or will a switch work fine?

Sorry if this is confusing - I'm trying to improve the (lack of) infrastructure in this office and I want to make sure this will be a long term, good solution!

Also, all three desktops will be connected via Gigabit ethernet, but a printer only connects at 10/100. Does that mean all of my computers will only be able to transfer data at 100mbps?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This may of invaluable help to you now and in the near future:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/click.p....dellsmallbusiness.ca/index.php?tsrc=register

Free PDF copy of Small Business IT for Dummies
Enjoy!

If your printer connects at 10/100 then that is the speed the printer can transfer data and does not reflect the data transfer rates between computers. 10/100 is a lot of throughput for a network of three computers using the printer so you should have no performance issue.

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
i'm a little confused on your description

Can you post the make and model of the Wireless Router and the Wired Router

You said you are sharing the wireless across the three computers in the office
why do you need the cable connections - router ?

are the computers close tothe wireless router

I have a small office and used a D-link router which has wireless with 4 ethernet connections.
This provides our staff (all laptops) with wireless connections - but the router is also connected to two printers which they can then print to

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BrassMonkey1980, thanks for the link! I gave them my e-mail address to download the book. I'm looking forward to looking at it.

Etaf, I'm creating a wired network because I want to centralize backups and have the three comptuers in the office update daily to a NAS device. Right now, I go around the office with a USB Hard Drive which gets done about once per month. I'm going to be moving away to college next year and I'm trying to find a hands-off way for them to keep the backups they want.

The only reason I want a seperate wired router/switch is becuase there are only 4 ports on my wireless router and I need 5 for what I want now. The computers connected to it are about 10 ft. and 30 ft. away from it, but sometimes the wireless isn't as reliable as I'd like. Because I'll be going away to college, I'd like to have the wired connection because it will be more stable and it will require less on-site care, and so they can backup to the network hard drive quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.