Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, me and my friend are clueless on this. We're both getting new cell phones, Samsung Cell Phones to be specific (samsung E105) Samsung phones have this special format called MMF Ringtones, which i thought were midi's but whatever. Anyway, is SMAF and MMF the same format? Some websites and programs say yes (like PSM Player) and some other websites say SMAF and MMF are two different formats (i.e. Samsung themselves.) But the weird thing is, when I make an SMAF file, it comes out with the .mmf extension. Really confusing. Thanx:)

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
SMAF is mobile audio format (.mmf) wich can contain midi, wave, phrase and graphics data.

However, it is not true that each company and each mobile phone has different format. There is some standards. In general, there are two kinds of formats for mobile phones. One is SMAF File extension of SMAF is “MMF.” Another is MFi that is used by Japan and some companies in Europe and US. File extension of MMF is “MLD.”

There also are some tools that take midi file and convert into ringtone file. Automated Composing System can convert MIDI files into SMAF, MFi, and other mobile phone files.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014815/music/English/autocomp.html

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx izme:)...now here's a new question..lol

T-Mobile tells me that the Samsung E105 accepts MMF and SMAF audio files, but Samsung tells me that the E105 accepts only MMF. Who should I believe? lol or should i just try it all out myself when i get my phone? lol

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
please read my last statement closer
The format of your phone's ringtones is SMAF
the file extentions you use are MMF

get your phone and try it out first

Just mainly be concerned with MMF files in the SMAF format
and converting midi files into SMAF format for MMF files

:D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey just found out something...wasnt sure if u know...but SMAF has another file extension...its .smaf Whenever I receive ringtones they are .mid or .smaf ...some are .mmf (but none are my own..lol)

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
LOL
it is confusing to me too
but I took it upon myself to study it

I have a cell phone and wanted to learn everything I could about them

most of them will play on your phone

just forget the monophonic one's!!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I need your help agian izme. I know you don't have this phone, but maybe you can help. I made all my own .mmf ringtones and uploaded them to tagtag.com When I try to retrieve them from the phone, it tells me "Forbidden" on my phone. Why? lol I know my phone can accept .mmf lol

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
You must have a WAP enabled phone in order to use TAGTAG
in the way you described
If you do not have a WAP enabled phone select a ringtone form tagtag.ringtones directory, click on the "Download" icon in the last column of the ringtone´s description. Save the ringtone to the local disc of your computer. Consult mobile phone user´s manual on how to copy downloaded ringtone from your computer to the mobile phone.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I GOT IT TO WORK...I had to play around with the song before I made it into a .mmf ringtone..and I finally got it to work :) yay!

btw...I do have a WAP Enabled phone (trust me, I wouldnt have paid $200 for it on monday if it wasn't)

**SPECIAL THANKS to izme**

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
I want to apologize for not calling you by your nic thugedout
I honestly meant nothing by it

It just seemed to stick in my head for some reason :D :D

><">

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.