Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just bought an HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx and I love it but it seems to have difficulties getting on wireless once in a while and I'm not sure why. When I start the laptop and immediately open a browser, it goes to the homepage, but when I try to browse, the internet somehow disconnected and does not come back for another 5~15 minutes. It might not be a big deal if it's a few minutes, but sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle of having to wait for it especially when I just want to check something quickly and shut down.

Unlike my sister's laptop, hers connects to the internet immediately on startup, starting with the two computer screens, then the two screens wit the yellow warning sign, then the globe.

Mine starts with the red X and then attempts to connect through by going back and forth animating the red X and the "bars" icon but doesn't connect. If I try to manually connect, it says I can't connect to the wireless and it asks me to connect to another one or diagnose the problem.

I "diagnosed" the problem but they never fix my issue so I stopped trying afterwards. If I somehow leave it alone from an interval of 5 to 15 minutes at usual, it connects on it's own. I'm just really annoyed by it.

Does anyone know the solution to this issue? Is it because a service was disabled or delayed on startup? Please let me know if any other information is needed, thank you :D;)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Wireless is provides an unstable connection by its nature. There are numerous things that can go wrong. Interference, poor signal strength, poor drivers/firmware to name a few.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
Hi, Johnwill and Curly thank you for replying. By the way Johnwill, I realized that 91,000 posts is quite a lot :up::cool:

Anyway Let me see what I tried:

1) How may I do this? I tried retyping the encryption key but it didn't work, that was my first thought also ;)
2) How may I do this? Is this found on the configuration? Because I read this tip on the Microsoft site but I never got a chance to do this because I keep forgetting the password and username to configure the roouter :|
3) The router is on the desk where my laptop is, there's not even 5 inches apart :D
4) They're updated so far, but this is probably the issue. I didn't know where the drivers were nor which ones they were, so I downloaded an Intel driver. Is it because it doesn't match, which is why it's not connecting properly?
5) I tried on the HP site, but it doesn't even list firmware or any drivers...at all.. it only lists certain items, unless I'm wrong and missed it. I also went on the Intel site and half the items were "not available" and somehow not on the site anymore but still listed.
6) I tried that three times, unfortunately. Shall I try again?:)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
1. Are you SURE the encryption key you're using is correct? Does the same key work with any other wireless machine?

2. You need to figure out the name/password for the router to do most of the stuff here, or reset to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

3. Move the router or machine farther away, there should be at least 5-6 feet between them. Sometimes having them too close will cause issues with connections.

4. Clearly, you need the CORRECT driver.

5. Hard to imagine the proper drivers are not on the HP site, that's not been my experience. Perhaps if you provided a link to the page you're trying to access them on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.