Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, in the last few weeks my startup routine on my Windows XP has slowed down. The desktop boots up just fine but my utilities, my antivirus, firewall and a clipboard program are taking longer to load in the system tray. I'm not sure if it's spyware related or not but several weeks ago I answered two emails (they were job-related and since I;m half unemployed I couldn't resist!) that asked me to go to specific legit-looking links. In one sight I just entered in some personal information and on the other I did the same thing but uploaded my resume.

It seems like after that I started having spyware problems. I ran all three anti-spyware utilities that I have (Spyware Doctor, Counterspy and AVG Anti-Spyware) and they found some junk and removed it but I'm still having slow startup problems. I also ran a virus scan that came up negative. Also about the same time I updated my video drivers but that wouldn't cause slow startup problems right?

So now I'm wondering what to try. Maybe an anti-malware utility or an anti-rootkit utility. Though I don't know the names of any good ones. Also I am going to install Mike Linns WinTasks pro to see if there is anything running oin the background that shouldn't be.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm also wondering if Kaspersky Anti-Virus, am Anti-virus that I here might be better at detecting things might be worth installing?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
If it's only a slow start-up, it might be some MS services - SP2/Defender...

You'll know for sure, by watching the taskmanager. 'svchost.exe will hold your cpu spiked for a few minutes...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.