Tech Support Guy banner

Will MS cleverly put an updated ver.of XP within a year?, like WIN98SE, mo' money

• YES

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who Cares I don't use Windows

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My machine recently started to slow down, I have been dilgent in maintaining the integrity of my hard drive, cleaning out old files and also using RegClean to remove bad regisrty entries. My question, why does it take every program so long to load, even if they have been opened once, and then closed, they take forever to reload, is this a cache problem? or a cash problem?

Using WIN ME, 950 T'Bird slot A (Athlon) Gigabyte GA 7ZX-5 rev, 40gig hdd 7200rpm, 640mb sdram pc133, 32mb Gforce, burner, zip,dvd, SB Live tuner card, scsi card, DSL Dlink, 300watt p/s and all kinds of cooling fans, case, hdd, video and the Golden Orb CPU fan. I use Eudora Pro 5.1 email program and it used to open about as fast as I could blink, now it takes about 30 seconds, Netscape and IE6 both take near a minute to load, other programs are not so bad, but still extremely slow. Anyone got any clues, all I can think is the cache has been changed or not enough cache..probably wrong I know, but if anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

Thanx Randy

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Rands99
Few items that come to mind:

1) Your current configuration of 640MB RAM exceeds the recommended limit of 512. Above 512 windows has problems
associated with vcache.
2) You may want to look at you startup group and trim a few items that are using resources.
3) Have you done the routine clean-up Temp files, history, ECT.

Listed below are two sites that will help with resources.
Site 1

also
site 2

Let us know if that helps.
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.