Tech Support Guy banner

Slow loading on startup

2174 Views 23 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  flavallee
It takes almost 2 minutes for web pages to load on startup,after it loads navigating on the page is very slow ang lagging. Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3693 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, 384 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 460339 MB, Free - 403500 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, TKBSB
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Hello usamale7,

Is this slow behavior just while browsing the web? Or are you experiencing overall slowness?

Let's see the following.

--------------------------------------------------------

MsConfig
  • Press and hold the Windows button + R on your keyboard.
  • In the Run box, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter.
  • Click the "Startup" tab.
  • Write down only the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.
  • If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.
  • Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Speedtest by Ookla
  • Go to Speedtest by Ookla.
  • Click the green Begin Test button.
  • Once the test is complete, click Share this Result.
  • Include the link provided in your next post.

What I'd like to see in your next post: :up:
  • MsConfig startup list.
  • Speedtest results.
See less See more
Hi TheShooter93, Its overall slowness and I noticed when I came here to post that the header of this page the are not in alignment.As you can tell I don't know how to type in a list .Can you help me with that?http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3748154128
Your computer hardware appears to be sufficient for a reasonably speedy experience, and your Internet connection is more than enough to load this page properly.

That MsConfig list will help us determine where to go next.

----------

As for typing in a list, just press the "Enter" key on your keyboard to move down a line.
Items check marked in MSCONFIG
Realtek HD
HD Audio
Synaptics Po
Microsoft Int
Microsoft Se
Microsoft R
Catalyst R
Adobe Read
Java (TM)
There really isn't very much loading at startup there, so I can only suspect malware as the cause for your computer's sluggishness.

I have asked a Trusted Advisor to step in to tackle the malware end of this.
Click Start, then type MSCONFIG in the search or run box, then press the Enter key.

When the small "System Configuration" window appears, click the "Startup" tab.

Write down ONLY the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Go here, then click the large blue "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" button to download and save AdwCleaner.exe to your desktop.

Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.

Click the "Scan" button, then allow the scanning process to finish.

Click the "Report" button.

When the log appears, save it.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.

--------------------------------------------------------------
See less See more
Hi,

Click Start, then type MSCONFIG in the search or run box, then press the Enter key.

When the small "System Configuration" window appears, click the "Startup" tab.

Write down ONLY the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.
You could do this OR you could ask the OP to open an elevated cmd prompt and copy paste all below in red:-

wmic startup get Caption, Location, Command /Format:List > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Produces the started list under startup tab in msconfig, output to a notepad, it can be copied and pasted here. This eliminates transcription errors, and gives us full details (sample output)

Caption=ERUNT AutoBackup
Command=C:\PROGRA~1\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE %SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date# /noconfirmdelete /noprogresswindow
Location=Startup
Realtek HD
HD Audio
Synaptics
Microsoft Int
Microsoft Se
Microsoft R
Catalyst R
Adobe Read# AdwCleaner v3.309 - Report created 10/09/2014 at 12:08:38
# Updated 02/09/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : Jerry - JERRY-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Jerry\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Scan
***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****
-\\ Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.17054

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [8002 octets] - [06/09/2014 22:20:01]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [595 octets] - [10/09/2014 12:08:38]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [7968 octets] - [06/09/2014 22:26:14]
########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [714 octets] ##########

Java (TM)

I had already ran an Adware scan a couple weeks ago.
See less See more
This AdwCleaner log is for September 10th.

It looks like you ran it on September 6th (4 days ago) and deleted a lot of threats. :up:

-----------------------------------------------------------

You need to read the instructions carefully in the first part of post #7.

Without seeing the ENTIRE names of those checked startup entries, it's difficult to advise you which ones to uncheck.

Hi, go to start, search and type cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste all below in red:-

wmic startup get Caption, Location, Command /Format:List > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Please copy paste the notepad outcome here.
Sorry but I don't know how to widen the column.So here is a little more info on startup items.
Realtek HD A... Realtek Semico...
HD Audio Ba... Realtek Semico...
Synaptics Po... Synaptics Incor...
Adobe Read... Adobe Systems
Java (TM) Pla... Oracle Corpora...
Microsoft Int... Microsoft Corp...
Microsoft Se... Microsoft Corp...
Microsoft R<R is circled]...Microsoft Corp...
Catalyst R<R is circled] C... Advanced Micr...
Hi, if you run the cmd in my post #12 then the startup tab of msconfig is revealed, I have persisted with this in frustration, only seeking to educate, it is not however your problem, ALL start up items in msconfig can be disabled and windows will still boot there are many hundreds of "silent" start up items you know nothing about happening in the background, why people will not embrace change frustrates me and helps to explain why my fellow computer scientists do not join forums ...more's the pity.

Now to your problem, first port of call is a clean boot, we can then go from there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
usamale7:

Hover the mouse arrow over the divider bar between the Startup Item and Manufacturer columns until it changes to a double arrow, then hold down the left mouse button, then move the divider bar to the right to widen the Startup Item column, then release the mouse button.

Below is an image of what it looks like afterwards.

Attachments

See less See more
jenae:

I tried the command line that you suggested, and the information in Notepad is completely different from the actual names in my "Startup item" list.

I'm in the habit of posting here at a "newbie/novice" level and not at an "advanced/technical" level, which allows people to better understand and follow my instructions.

What works for you and what works for me is different, so please don't take offense.

Hi, if you run the cmd in my post #12 then the startup tab of msconfig is revealed, I have persisted with this in frustration, only seeking to educate, it is not however your problem, ALL start up items in msconfig can be disabled and windows will still boot there are many hundreds of "silent" start up items you know nothing about happening in the background, why people will not embrace change frustrates me and helps to explain why my fellow computer scientists do not join forums ...more's the pity.
As flavallee said in his response, many people that post for help here are not technical experts. Because of this, the helpers cannot and should not post in a technically advanced way.

The customer-facing part of technical support is a very big part of all of this. We can have all the technical knowledge on how to solve their problem(s), but if we cannot communicate it in such a way that they can perform the actions that are required, nothing will get done.

If you've ever done technical support or worked as IT for any business, I'm sure you know this.

It's not that we don't embrace change -- we do all the time as that is part of this industry. It's just a matter of what tool is right for the job. And when posting to the average person requiring help here, the more advanced the solution the less likely it can be successfully implemented by the user.

I hope this helps you understand our operations a bit better.
Realtek HD Audio Manager
HD Audio Background Process
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
Microsoft IntelliPoint
Microsoft Security Client
Microsoft Windows Operating System
Catalyst Control Center
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
Java (TM) Platform SE Auto Updates
Is that by any chance a Toshiba Satellite laptop?

What is its model number and part number?

---------------------------------------------------------

Are you using an external Microsoft mouse with it?

---------------------------------------------------------
Yes it is a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Part # PSC4AU-01T015
Serial# 1C084376R
I am using a Logtech cordless laser mouse.
Yes it is a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Part # PSC4AU-01T015
Serial# 1C084376R
I am using a Logtech cordless laser mouse.
You have a Toshiba Satellite C675D-S7101 (PSC4AU-01T015) 17.3" laptop.

It came with 4 GB(2 GB X 2) of RAM.
Because it's running Windows 7 64-bit and because almost 2 GB of RAM is allocated to its AMD graphics device, you should consider maxing it out with 8 GB(4 GB X 2) of RAM.
Adding more RAM will improve speed and performance and may resolve some of the slowness/lagging issues it's having.

Here are the specifications for the 8 GB(4 GB X 2) memory kit for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.