Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know allot about LANS or network connections. Im on a university network thing, i dont know much more than that but ill try and explain. there are two apartment type buildings with a bunch of rooms, our internet is supplied by abc communications. there are four bedrooms in a dorm, each with its own wallkack and Download Limit. me and my roomates can play games over the connection (like LAN) apart from that i dont know what type of network it is. when my other roomates send stuff back and forth over (big files 1-10 gigs) the transfer goes really fast, and the files are through in minutes. but when they try and send it to me, it goes like 50Kb/s( as opposed to like 50000Kb/s) somewhere i read something about changing to full duplex, but i dont know how, if anyone knows how i can speed up the connection, help me out.

·
Super Moderator
43,946 Posts
Don't forget that if the person is using a program that utilizes the network connection, it will slow down the speed a bit.

As for Full duplexing, that is in your network card properties.

Assuming Windows XP:

Right click on My Computer
Click Properties
Right click on your network card under Network Adapters
Click Properties
Click Advanced tab
highlight Connection Type
depending on whats available, you probably should have 100TX Full Duplex. If you have 1000 Full then choose that.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Depends on what type od netwrok card you have. i fyo uhave an older machine, some are maxed out at 10Mbps. Your card should be to Auto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.