Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been having problems with really slow internet connection over the past few day (it's been as low as 68kbps) and I've contacted virgin media about it and thus far they have been useless. I've tried everything they suggested: bought a new router, changed to a corded telephone and restarted my laptop but none of it has worked!! They now suggest that I get a new IP address. Does anyone know if this will help at all and if so how I change it?

Any advice/help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Can I ask you do you download a lot of files?

Why I ask is Virginmedia now cap your downloads.
They slow your speed once you reach the cap limit.
They usaly slow your connection so they say for 5 1/2 hours however when I was with Virgin it appeared to be more like 10 hours.

Virginmedia failed to notify customers of this capping and after many complaints from me they eventualy admitted what the issue was on slow speed.

Is the above possibly your issue?

JB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am aware that they do this but I do not believe that this is the problem because I have attempted speed tests at various times of the day (even in the early hours of the morning) and it has not made any difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can you use this for me and post results:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Are you connected via USB or eithernet?

What are your computer hardware specifications as lower grade computers can have an effect on your speed.

What meg BB are you on and what speed do you actualy get?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Em for the speedtest what server do I select, Manchester? I live in Glasgow.

I can use broadband genie or speedtest.bt.com if that helps?

I have a IBM Thinkpad T60 and here are it's specifications:
[*]T2500 2.0GHz Core Duo processor with Intel Virtualization Technology[*]100GB 7200RPM hard drive[*]1GB Ram PC2-5300 667Mhz

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just click on the icon closest to were you live.

Your computer specs appear fine.

Ok if you have not done this already?

Open IE and click on tools/internet options/delete history,cookies,temp files.

Does that help your slow internet?

Also often addons can cause issues.

Click tools/manage addons you can try disabling addons or disable them all you can always re-enable them if they are required.

Does that help?

Do you have tool bars installed in your IE?

They are realy not nessasary and I would uninstall them,the Virginmedia toolbar is realy not needed either.

I would uninstall the toolbars.

Are you running IE 7 or IE8?

Download and run Firefox does your internet load faster?

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

JB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried all those things before and it doesn't help. Also I constantly keep getting disconnected and have to reconnect every 10 mins or so. I'm beginning to wonder if the fault is with the service or phone line itself because there is a lot of noise on the line. I have even tried buying new adsl microfilters but again this did not help.

Anyway here are my results:
download speed: 78.6kbps
upload speed: 120.4 kbps

Sorry for any delays in replies it's cos everything is running so painfully slow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They told me that I had to change my IP address but I dont know how:S and then if after 4 days it still hasnt improved to phone them again and they'll take it to the next stage. It's really annoying now.

I have a USB connection but in another act of desperation I tried ethernet and again it did nothing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Click start/open run box/type in cmd and hit ok/type in command window ipconfig /release and hit enter on your keyboard.

Then type in ipconfig /renew hit enter on your keyboard.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you update the eithernet port hardware driver via device manager when you connected the modem via eithernet then reboot the modem and your computer?

Try it.

Using USB you will get slow speeds and disconnnections.

Open Control Panel from the Start Menu. On Microsoft Windows systems, this is the place where all the settings of the computer reside and many changes can be made here.
Click on Network Connections – the place for all internet connections’ settings to reside and new connections can be made and existing connections can be edited or deleted.
Double Click on the LAN connection. One must know the LAN connection’s name. Contact the system administrator for detail.
A Menu will pop up with a lot of options. Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) option and click on Properties.
Write down these settings somewhere and then change the IP address of the system.
Your IP you have now possibly ends in 1.0 / 0.0 /1.1 if it is one of these lets say it is 1.0 then change it to 1.1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.