Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was on newegg.com last nite looking to upgrade my current ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with a new and better card, i seen a lot of them saying SLI Support, What is SLI and what else would i need to buy to game with full on SLI

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
You can do a Google search if you want details, but I think all you need to know is that it is a way to use two video cards together to boost video performance. It's not something that you need, or in fact would be able to use (you also need a SLI capable MB, which I doubt you have), but it doesn't mean you can't use an SLI capable card by itself. However, more to the point is you most likely have a MB with an AGP video slot and so need an AGP type of video card (and not a PCI e type). I haven't kept up with what's the latest AGP video cards, but when I replaced my Radeon 9800 I went with a NVidia 7800GS. I'm sure you'll get other suggestions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh ok thanks, yeah a lot of the products i was seeing was things like motherboards,vid cards,psu that had sli support. heres another question, is it any better gaming with SLI or all the same

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
rollnw24inkmc said:
oh ok thanks, yeah a lot of the products i was seeing was things like motherboards,vid cards,psu that had sli support. heres another question, is it any better gaming with SLI or all the same
Sure its better for the most demanding games, it does increase the frame rate.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
rollnw24inkmc said:
ohh ok thanks, now that i know what parts i need and understand a whole lot more about SLI which is would you suppose is better to build a SLI PC or a Crossfire PC
LOL, To be honest with you I would think it would be better to build a DirecX10 Computer.
Only the Nvidia 8000 series is directX10 compatible. No other card as of now will be able to run directX10, DirectX10 another words is not backwards compatible. So, look what you would be missing. personally and I keep saying this. just wait a few months and get a directX10 card.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77741

Get a DirectX machine then worry about which is better. LOL and your not going to need to for a while because the 8000 series is just screaming fast.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
So, you're looking at a complete computer system to replace...

Also, just get the 8800 card and don't worry about SLI. A single 8800 card murders ANY SLI setup (GF7x or GF 6x) And MANY games in the real world don't actually run faster or much with SLI. ( lets say 100fps vs 110fps... it varies) As Crossfire setups tend to due better with dual-card setup over Nvidia's SLI - BUT, a single 8800GTX tends to do better than 2x ATI Crossfire cards.

Also with a dual-care setup, you have to spend more on parts. Such as cooling, a case, powersupply, electric bill, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.