Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to slave my old IDE drive to my new SATA drive so that I can tranfer files from my old drive to the new one. However, I can't get them to boot up together, so can someone tell me how to configure them so that they do? I can't even get the SATA to boot normally on its own. All these molex power cords in my case are driving me crazy. Is there a specific way to connect power cords, because I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Some general items on SATA drives

Either the drives will have their own "SATA" type power connectors or they will have the regular 4 pin power connector. Some drives have both so you have the options of either depending on what you have from your power supply. Converters are also available.

SATA drives do not have master and slave settings. Just use the data connector.

Your regular IDE drive can either be set as master or single depending on if your have anything else on the same cable and be plugged into either your primary IDE connector on the motherboard (easiest) or on some boards you can configure the SATA connector to function as IDE.

After you have the SATA drive recognized by BIOS you can load XP. Have the CD drive set up as first boot device as usual and boot up with the XP CD in the drive. Early on you will be asked to press F6 to load third party drivers. Have the motherboard SATA drivers handy on a floppy. You should then be able to partition and format the SATA drive and load XP to it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm very confused right now because I think I have everything connected, yet when I turn on the computer the fans start and the motherboard looks powered up, yet nothing appears on the screen although the screen is on. I get no BIOS at all. Is that because the drives aren't connected correctly? I'm trying to boot just my SATA drive now that I already installed WinXP on.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Probably has nothing to do with the drives. Recheck your video card and RAM, make sure something didn't come loose with your new drive install.

If no change try booting up with the new drive not attached

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't get it to boot up even with the old drive. I reseated the RAM and the video card is fit just as tight as before. I even removed the battery and cleared the CMOS. I'm at a loss for what to do next.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I just suggested removing the drive due to two unlikely problems--not enough power to power everything with the new drive or somehow it was shorting things. As I said both not very likely.

So you're stuck with troubleshooting one thing at a time. It looks like you've got a pretty new setup but things still can go early or get damaged one you are working on your system. Double check all connections You'll have to try replacing parts or trying your components in another system. Start with the monitor and video card. If you have two sticks of RAM try one at a time or use a replacement. That will leave the power supply, motherboard and CPU (check how the heat sink is attached and all fan connections).

Less likely since things were working before is that something is shorting the motherboard. Take it out of the case with only the video card and monitor, cpu/heat sink/fan, RAM and power.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna do the whole troubleshooting bit one piece at a time tomorrow since it's getting late now and I've been struggling with this problem for hours already. I'll post back tomorrow with my results. Thanks a lot for everyone's help thus far.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually reset the overclocking back to standard values, and if it was still overclocked I wouldn't be able to reset it at this point because I get NOTHING on my screen when I power on the comp. I just tried reseating the CPU and still nothing. I don't understand how nothing will come up when all I tried to do was swap hard drives. What I didn't mention before was that when I was initially changing drives, I had gotten the same exact problem I'm having now. It was only remedied when I kept switching molex connectors on hard drives until something came up. DUnno what that says tho. Now I can't get it to boot up at all. I dunno what could be failing since everything was fine before I opened up the case.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, well I guess I figured out the problem. I managed to swap in a working power supply and the damn thing finally boots up OK.

Since I have to buy a new PS now, you have any suggestions? My currently dead one is an Antec 350W, and if I plan to run 3 hard drives later on how much wattage would you think I might need? Please don't bother recommending any Antec power supplies. I'm going to stay away from them because I read other reports of problems with my specific mboard and Antec power supplies.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.