Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer just hits the skids. The power supply went and when i left it plugged in to go to the stotre to buy a new one it fried the rest of the PC. The hard drive I am assuming is in perfect working order I just need to get the info from it. Does anyone know how to turn an old exsisting hard drive into a slave drive or at least get the info from it and put it on the new hard drive?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
There should be a diagram on the hard drive telling you how to set your jumper settings to slave.
Is that what your after?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I need to turn the old main hard drive into the salve drive as I am geting a new hard drive. I just do not know how to hook up the old drive to be a slave drive.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
What brand of hard drive is it? And was the diagram there? The pins are at the back of the drive with a small plastic jumper connecting some of the pins. Just change the configuration to how the diagram shows you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the diagram. I am assuming (and you can correct me if I am wrong), that you take that little plastic thing that goes on the prongs and make it match the diagram and then hook it up as normal. I am also assuming that once both the primary and slave drives are hooked up the computer should recognize that and you can access the slave drive from windows explorer.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.