Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Boys and Girls, I been doing an extra paper-round and saving me sheckles and I'm not far off from getting a loverly shiny new Shuttle Small Form Factor case.

The model I want is the SN45G as seen Here

Now then I have a MSI K7N2 Delta MoBo and it uses the exact same chipset (North bridge:NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 / South bridge:MCP-T) as the Shuttle MoBo. It also features all the same stuff like USB 2, Firewire, onboard 5.1 Digital Soundstorm etc, etc... you get the picture.

My question is this. Can I just put my HDD in it with out re-installing XP Pro. I have heard stories of people putting HDD into totally different systems and XP fails to boot. But seeing as everything is the same I should be OK or am I?

I will be using the same CPU, RAM and Graphics card so nothing else is changing.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
No it won't completely work. THe chipset may be the same but the BIOS and video are not. The smaller motherboards are invariably different than their full sized cousins so a fresh install would be the best bet.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I agree with Rockn on this one.

Yes, XP may detect everything but you are going to have a ton of little driver bits and pieces all over your system just waiting to give you a conflict when you least expect it.

Keep in mind this will also require reactivating Windows XP.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
If the board you are getting has pretty much all the same features as the one you have then why replace it? If all you want is a new case there are plenty of nice cases you can buy and it'll be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want the Shuttle case cos its tiny, and therefore you use the MoBo that is in it, because

1. It comes with it
B. It's the only one that fits in it
$. I have had numerous cases and they are all normal big cases, I want the shuttle cos its only 25cm tall.

And most of all I choose this model cos it matches the hardware I already have.

I agree with you though on one point. There are some great cases out there, you don't have to have a crap beige box. I thought about getting one of those acrylic cases until I saw the Shuttle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.