Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate some assistance.

Shut down PC, and everything went as expected, but something inside the PC kept running, and the green "On" light flickerd continuously. Had to unplug PC from wall to actually turn it off.

Tried to start PC, and the start-up screen posted an error message: 110:KB/Interface Error, which reflects an error in the keyboard connector. When pressing F1 to continue, nothing happens. Nothing happens with Control-Alt-Delete either. Had to unplug from the wall again.

Any ideas of what is happening, and how to solve the issue?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rollin' Rog,

Thank you for your reply.

The Power On light and the keyboard light keep flickering after the PC is supposedly shut down. Sometimes, upon starting the PC, get a 110: KB/Interface Error, but other times it boots and proceeds to load up windows without any problem.

Tried to enter the BIOS by hitting Delete, but can't seem to access it either.

This is an ATX PC one of those eMachines (eMonster 500) with a Pentium III 500MHz, 128MB RAM, and a 120Watts power supply. The power supplies on these things have a great reputation for going bad.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Oh No.....an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeMachine!! 120Watts? How does the thing even power the processor? Try a different keyboard and upgrade that power supply. The keyboard interface or kb BIOS might be going sout if that doesn't take care of it.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Try pressing the Tab key during the boot instead of Del to get into the BIOS.

EMachine, sigh; like Rockn says, it's probably just a matter of time, so if you have anything important on it that can be backed up, do it. I don't know much about them, but I've heard that even though other power supplies may not fit the case, you still could run it on one as long as you can physically attach the cable.

Still this sounds like a bad connector or a problem with the power switch itself.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rockn, Rollin' Rog,

Thank you for your replies.

Testing this thing with a 250 Watt power supply. So far so good. Maybe it is salvageable after all.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sharon D,

You can find out the number of watts on your power supply by removing the case of your computer and reading the wattage on its spec label, or you can go to the eMachines website and look for the specifications of the particular model you have.

I have an eMonster with a Pentium III 500, and the power supply is 120 watts. Couldn't bellieve it, most machines of this kind normally run with 200 watts or more. This is the second time the power supply cluncks out on this PC, so will be transfering all the inners of this machine to another case with a 250 - 300 watts power supply.

Have a good day.

:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sharon D,

Like you, I was not aware of the poor wattage contained in some of the power supply units of these computers. eMachines is not the only one that carries power supply units with that low a wattage.

Built my second PC, and that one works like a charm. Try building your own sometime, it is fun.

Have a great weekend also.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.