Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
First off, I would cancel McAFee. I did the same years ago after running it and still getting a virus.
AVG works for me. I have it on a couple of my workstations. I run it with auto updates whichh makes it so easy. Load it and fa get about it. :D I've also heard great reviews for Avast, it is another free option that does a good job. I have not installed Avast yet but wil get around to it one of these days. AVG has kept me safe for over 2 years now. :D

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Avira Antivir antivirus + Online Armor Firewall.
Dear wendy1301,
I ditto what phantom has advised! Avira free also contains a good anti-spyware and that's a bonus! The only "IF" i may add is, if you find Online-Armor a wee bit difficult to configure, you"may" try Zone-Alarm (free) firewall! No pain, no gain! Spend some quality time on reading up "setting" (HELP section) the Online-Armor firewall and you will be rewarded! Best wishes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
....I did this at the recommendation of a tech.

However, since then, I my system has just jammed up. Example, in Outlook, I try to forward an email and they cpu maxes out at 100% and never lets up.

I read on some post that it is the isuspm.exe and how it is messing with another file.

Should I dump AVG for Avira?

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts

However, since then, I my system has just jammed up. Example, in Outlook, I try to forward an email and they cpu maxes out at 100% and never lets up.

I read on some post that it is the isuspm.exe and how it is messing with another file.

Dumping McAfee was a good idea but AVG was not a big upgrade!

I would go with Avira.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Dear CoDog,
When you install a new program, the CPU usage may go up! Un install AVG and see. If CPU usage comes down, try Avast or Avira! AVG is a pain! Very few in this forum recommend AVG as the A-V of choice! Best wishes.

·
Registered
836 Posts

I havent used AVG in a while, but i believe default configuration is to run a scan on startup. It may be running in the background and slowing you down, specially if you dont have alot of ram or you`re running a heavy memory/cpu load already..

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Avira Antivir is rated the #1 Free Anti VIrus software by PC Magazine. Where AVG Rates only as #3. I have used Avira for quite sometime and I have never had a virus slip through. I would recommend Avira personally even if it ranked #2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.