Tech Support Guy banner

Should felons be allowed to vote?

5003 Views 134 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  BanditFlyer
I believe it is of vital importance that felons be allowed to vote. If a person is subjected to the laws, he/she should have a right to have as much input in the making of the laws as can be afforded.

Our laws do not do enough at this time to afford equal and adaquate defenses in criminal trails. A poor person gets a court appointed attorney, the attorney is appointed by the judge. The defense attorney and prosecutor attorney along with the judge choose the jury. Therefore, if the judge is biased and has reason, the defense attorney, and jury can be slanted toward the prosecutors side. Furthermore, the judge allots the time in which a defense attorney can be allowed to speak, effectively weakening the defense. In the state of Texas, it is common for the judge to allot 30 minutes time for the defense in a death penalty crime. Rights, and the defense of rights, are for those who can afford them.

it was once one of the basic precepts of our system of justice that it is better to free 10 guilty men than to allow one innocent man to rot in jail.
If innocents are inprisoned, what rights to change the system that prosecuted them do they have?
21 - 40 of 135 Posts
Why not. Illegal aliens seem to have more rites in the United States than its citizens.
But I think the we should draw the line with violent crimes.
Quick, someone piss me off :D
Gimme a minute IK, I'll get there I'm sure. ;)

Seriously,

I'm getting confused. I thought the question at hand was those who are released, not still incarcerated. While both questions could certainly be asked, are we taking them both on at the same time, because I'm getting confused.......

While incarcerated....

If they are to be used for dermining representation, than they should vote. Since I don't think that while incarcerated they should be voting, they should not be counted towards any such statistics. They are thier own population. The only relevance towards counting them I could think of would be in direct relation to maintaining the prison itself.

After the fact....

If we expect them to maintain the same obligations as the "rest of us", then, as I put the quote up, no taxation without representation. It was a solid principle. If you expect them to be a duck, then you have to let them walk and talk like a duck. This of course opens up a "can of worms" if you want it to, like the gun issue, but allowing gun ownership could be argued as contrary to the common good, I don't think anyone could say the same about fulfilling a civic responsibility. (despite my tounge in cheek about robbing circle k's) Besides, the ones that you really don't want influencing public policy aren't exactly going to become a political force, even if they did bother to vote, it serves more of a purpose to the one trying to be a duck.
See less See more
imo I don't think they should have a right to vote until they have "done the time to pay for the crime". After they are released, they should not have to petition to have their voting rights given back to them. This is especially hard for me to say since I have been in law enforcement where you have to deal with criminals who just don't give a rat's arse about anything.

However, there are those who made a mistake and want to better themselves by turning over a new leaf and do their best to get back into society. This can be extremely hard to do after leaving "prison society behind". Making it harder to do the normal things that a "normal" society does doesn't help.

Also, if the incarcerated felons were allowed to vote they either probably wouldn't anyway or would do it because it would be a break from the regular routine. Imo.
Sorry folks, I guess I did kind of lead us off track when I turned and said we should allow felons to vote while incarecerated, which I think we should, because they are at the direct mercy of ALL facets of the government. But still, this thread is moving quite well, although I will ask this one simple question:
What is the inherent danger or harm for allowing someone in prison or in jail, or being an ex-offender, to vote? Bsides it being a form of punishment, de facto, unlike gun ownership, which has a public safety concern, where is the harm? :)
I would venture to say that felons would have a better idea on who's running and who they would vote for than the proposed California crap to give 14 thru 17 year olds the right to vote.

Many 14 year olds can't even spell the word vote :eek: :eek: *thank you U.S. school system*
Give them the right to vote at 14...I can just imagine what that state would be like. Probably not much different since the adults in CA are just as lost and easily led.
The incarcerated should not be allowed to vote at all, IMO, regardless whether they are in for a Felony or not.
As a taxpayer, I would be paying more money to set up the voting booths and transport the prosoners back and forth from the polling place. Can you imagine how much it costs to move the millions of people around so that they can vote on a single election day? These paople are convicted. We must make the solid decision that everyone of these prisoners is guilty of the crime for which they were convicted. In my book, that means they gave up their rights the moment they decided to take away rights from somebody else.

Taking away someone's right to vote is part of the punishment for the crime they have committed, IMO.

In addition, criminals (lets call them what they are) should never be in the position to change the political outcome of an election for all of those who are not criminals, and have obeyed the laws that they have cast ballots to accept or decline.

My dog at home has more rights than convicts, and that is the way it should be, IMO.
See less See more
If they want to hold elections to determine who's going to be Cell block monitor for the month, that'd be okay with me.
Lan, ya ever hear about absentee ballots my friend :)

I don't have a position one way or the other. I agree on 1) what difference would it make anyhow? and 2) if they are in prison, they should expect to lose some rights.

Now if that isn't a Kerry waffle, I don't know what is :D :D
Rockn said:
Give them the right to vote at 14...I can just imagine what that state would be like. Probably not much different since the adults in CA are just as lost and easily led.
LOL :D
Did you say, Kerry Waffles?

Comin' right up! Have a cuppa coffe while you're at it. :D

Attachments

See less See more
I figured that would get a rise out of you :D

Not a coffee girl here, either diet coke in the A.M. or a cerveza after noon ;)
Tecate, Bohemia or Dos Equis?
AcaCandy said:
Pobresita mija. :down:
As far as felons voting I think if they can work in the White House they might as well vote for the President. Afterall its not like the vote actually counts anymore anyway! :D
bassetman said:
As far as felons voting I think if they can work in the White House they might as well vote for the President. Afterall its not like the vote actually counts anymore anyway! :D
IN a mixed up, round about, Bizarro-world way, given the fact that if someone has been in prison they can't vote, and we applied our system to the world, Nelson Mandela wouldn't be allowed to vote or run for office. And before anyone says he was a political prisoner, he was still convicted by a SA court.
Hrrmmph.
21 - 40 of 135 Posts