Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shell32.dll

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Sharon D 
#1 ·
I recently got pipeline cable internet. After only two days my internet explorer will not open. It says there is an error with shell32.dll. I un/re installed explorer5.5 Nothing changed. I REALLY dont want to reformat because I have over 15 gb of music and games. HELP! Please.

Oh yeah, I have Win ME 850 mhz 20gb 128 ram hp laptop

#5 ·
#7 ·
Hiya

When the error comes up, what is the exact message? Can you click on Details and copy/paste what is there.

have you tried the Repair?

Control panel | AddRemove. Doubleclick Microsoft Internet Explorer. choose Repair, apply and restart.

Regards

eddie

#8 ·
We'll guys and gals, now i really did it. I tried to replace the shell32.dll file and fugded everything up. SO, know I decieded to say f*@k it and reformat. Although, my recovery cd is damaged and will not read. Is there anywhere (besides HP) to get a recovery cd for a HP 5350 Laptop??? HP wants 42 bucks! boooo

#9 ·
Hiya

Before you format, have you tried to restore the system to how it was before you installed the file?

Reboot to DOS and at the prompt, type the following. There is a space before the /

scanreg /restore

and pick a date prior to the change. Don't choose the oldest date.

Regards

eddie

#10 ·
Hey jsmason. If you'd like to try Eddie's suggestion of restoring the registry before you made the changes with shell32.dll, this is how you do it with WinMe:

To make a startup disk for WinME: Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove>Startup Disk>Create Disk. Make sure you have a formatted floppy handy.

To restore the registry: Insert your (startup disk) bootdisk that you created into the floppy drive and restart your computer. Choose Option 4 Minimal Boot. Then type this at the A:> prompt pressing enter after each:

c:
scanreg /restore

Now choose a registry date prior to when your problem(s) started if within the last five days. Windows stores five backups-one for each time you startup the pc. Use the Up/Down arrow keys to highlight the date and press enter to restore it. Follow the prompts. Remove your bootdisk from the floppy drive before restarting. Press Enter or Alt-Ctrl-Del to restart your computer.

*Note: A good Registry date has the word "Started" next to it. Also, note the space between scanreg and /restore.
*Note: Avoid using the oldest backup (the 5th) because There is a documented bug in the program which causes this to fail because the restore functions overwrites that 5th file during the restore process. So it is best to choose only from the first 4. I learned this from Rollin' Rog in this thread at TSG:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54698

Good luck :) sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.