Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the cone shaped wire battery terminals (-) is missing in the battery box for this Sharp brand tv remote. Is there a way to repair this? I've searched for a circuit diagram with no results. I have also stuffed some copper wire in that location with no success, so I'm guessing the missing terminal was connected to the circuit board. Anyone have some suggestions for how it can be repaired?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can buy a generic remote that can be setup to control the TV for less than $10, I wouldn't spend too much time working on this. :)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Sorry, no hostility, we're just having a little fun at your expense. I'm sorry you took it wrong.

Do you know the history of the remote? Did it once work for you?

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
If you can get it apart, it should become clear.

Usually there is only a couple of screws, but sometimes no screws at all.

The case clips together usually, needing gentle persuasion and a blunt knife.

If you have a digital camera or video camera, the remote IR LED becomes visible in the viewfinder of these usually. A simple way of testing if it actually goes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm like you gmagic, I like a challenge. Take the circuit board out, probably be a couple of screws holding it in and look for a solder connection where the spring used to be. If you're any good with a soldering pencil clean the solder till the hole opens up and use a steel spring. Straighten one end of the spring and use some emery cloth or fine sandpaper to get it clean and shiny and put it through the hole and solder it in place. Trim off any excess part of the spring that is sticking through the hole with a wire cutter and there ya go...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help in getting my tv remote to function again, especially Kiwiguy and Karnak. Fortunately, the broken off piece of wire was on the +/- side that completed the battery circuit and not the side that was soldered to the printed circuit board.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That should have been an easy fix then. Sorry bout the info overload. I have four teenage boys and if I must say, I've learned how to fix about anything over the years that they can tear up. I have a saying at my house, "If I can't fix it, it's BROKE." :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.