Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am buying another computer and naturally i would like to set up internet on it , i thought about buying a switch and use that to share my cable modem between the 2 computers,will that work okay? i never used a switch before so wanna make sure
(btw my isp allows upto 3 ip's so i know for a fact there wouldnt be an issue there) , i know i could get a router however its more expensive and honestly i dont need the extra features,please help

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If you actually get three public IP addresses, then a switch will allow you to share the Internet. Note that if they're really public IP addresses, it's very likely that you will NOT be able to share files/printers between the machine. I know that when Comcast issues multiple public IP addresses, they're routinely not in the same subnet, so there will be no communication between the machines.

Truthfully, since a router is only about $20-30 if you do any shopping, there is no reason on this planet that anyone that can afford to have three computers can't afford the extra $10 or so to get a router and solve the problem the right way, rather than the switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.