Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm trying to share a printer/scanner/fax (Brother MFC-640CW) over the network.

I have two new pc's with xp and plugged the usb printer into both machines. XP went and found the printer an fax drivers for the Brother MFC-640CW. Local printing worked fine.

I then tried to find the Brother MFC-640CW on the network, but xp couldn't find it on the host pc.

I downloaded the drivers and brother printer scanner fax software suite and installed them on both machines. I could then see the Brother MFC-640CW on the network and print. But I can not launch the Brother software suite to scan from the second machine on the network. Scanning only works from the host when the Brother MFC-640CW is connected by usb.

I have file sharing enabled, and have nominated via the control panel/printers and faxes/Brother MFC-640CW/properties to share the printer.

Can anyone see anything wrong here?

Any similar experiences?

Does sharing a printer in xp only allow "printing" and not other functions like faxing and scanning via the network?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
No surprise there, unless it's a network printer or has drivers to support the other functions, they won't work. This is a normal issue, and I think if you look on the Brother site they'll probably tell you that in their FAQ.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.