Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm trying to share a printer/scanner/fax (Brother MFC-640CW) over the network.

I have two new pc's with xp and plugged the usb printer into both machines. XP went and found the printer an fax drivers for the Brother MFC-640CW. Local printing worked fine.

I then tried to find the Brother MFC-640CW on the network, but xp couldn't find it on the host pc.

I downloaded the drivers and brother printer scanner fax software suite and installed them on both machines. I could then see the Brother MFC-640CW on the network and print. But I can not launch the Brother software suite to scan from the second machine on the network. Scanning only works from the host when the Brother MFC-640CW is connected by usb.

I have file sharing enabled, and have nominated via the control panel/printers and faxes/Brother MFC-640CW/properties to share the printer.

Can anyone see anything wrong here?

Any similar experiences?

Does sharing a printer in xp only allow "printing" and not other functions like faxing and scanning via the network?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
No surprise there, unless it's a network printer or has drivers to support the other functions, they won't work. This is a normal issue, and I think if you look on the Brother site they'll probably tell you that in their FAQ.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.