Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I have been asked to create a database for our small company. Nothing too serious - contacts primarily, and links to some scanned in .pdf files (old tax returns, meeting minutes, stuff like that). I think it would be pretty easy, except we eventually need to share the info with different people in different locations around the country.

I have MS Access, but no one else does. I don't really want to have to buy Access for 10 people (kind of expensive) and would prefer a web-type solution if possible. This is where my experience drops to nothing. (I looked at OpenOffice - Base, but it doesn't look very good for designing the forms i will need (it uses OpenOffice Write to create forms)).

I can create a database on my computer, probably starting with one of the MS templates. I think i can eventually create the appropriate forms and reports, and link stuff together appropriately.

Where my experience stops is what to do next. How do i share the database with other people at different locations? Do I need a server? what kind of software? something web-based? My budget tops out at $1,000 (or so).

Any suggestions you can provide to get me headed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
What kind of web hosting do you have? PHP/MySQL hosting generally comes with free installable software. For instance, my clients get something called Fantastico, which comes with many scripts that automatically install software onto your server.
http://cpanel-host.com/fantastico/
Easily, for $1000, you should be able to have someone at www.rentacoder.com customize one of those softwares to suit your needs.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anne Troy said:
What kind of web hosting do you have? PHP/MySQL hosting generally comes with free installable software. For instance, my clients get something called Fantastico, which comes with many scripts that automatically install software onto your server.
http://cpanel-host.com/fantastico/
Easily, for $1000, you should be able to have someone at www.rentacoder.com customize one of those softwares to suit your needs.
Anne -

Thanks for the info. I'm not even sure what kind of web hosting we currently have. Someone else in my company was in charge of that (I'll call him next week and find out).

I like the idea of Rentacoder .... i was wondering where i would turn to get some help.

Is there any way i can take an Access database and make it available on the web (with usernames and passwords)?

Tom

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Sure, Tom. Here's the thing...

If you use an Access database, you'll likely need ASP programming on a Windows server. Yuk. You're talking more expensive programming required. PHP programmers are generally much cheaper 'cause it's open source.

Without programming, each user has to have Access installed...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.