Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, please direct me to the solution.

What i'm wondering is, i've recently downgraded my PC as I don't do half the things i used to on it. I'm now considering ditching my desktop to just my laptop. I really don't need much more than that.

My issue is that i obviously cant have the 8TB of hard drive space i currently have to store films and photos on a laptop. I currently use plex to give everyone access to films (legally). i've looked into NAS drives etc and have heard a number of clonflicting reviews about being able to play HD films through plex.

My question is, based on me downgrading to a basic laptop (not a gaming one) what are my options to continue to share the 5TB's of films, and memories i currently do. is a HD caddy the option and share it through the router? Currently a sky broadband subscriber.

At the moment i just just LAN for family to start the PC and automatically loads in to a basic profile to share the media. Is NAS the way forward for me, and what sort of equipment would i need to do this.

Thanks in advance

·
Trusted Advisor
7,000 Posts
Your post is a little confusing but from what I gather, a NAS is the proper solution for you. Because you mentioned Plex, you should get a NAS that has history of being able to run PMS (Plex Media Server). Synology is one such NAS that has been used as a Plex server. Just doing an online search on Plex and NAS will yield various proven NAS options along with tutorials on how to set it up.

ETA: The hardware requirements of the NAS will depend on what you do with Plex. If files are shared in their native resolution to any Plex clients, then processing will be minimal. It's when you have to transcode is when the processing power of the Plex server comes into play...in addition to the number of simultaneous clients. This is also assuming the network connection between client and server is able to sustain the stream for a particular resolution. Transcoding is when the Plex server has to repackage the original source resolution to a lower resolution being called for by the client or due to network bandwidth constraints. Some people with a heavy number of users and the need to do significant transcoding will either beef up the processor or implement the use of a GPU to aid transcoding. What's not recommended at all is to transcode from 4k down to any lower resolution to include HD.

·
Super Moderator
16,263 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for you replies. Sorry for the confusing post but essentially yes, I think I'll look at NAS. I want to move away from having the desktop on in order to use the drives. But if I can move the drives to NAS then that should solve it.

Really appreciate all of your input

·
Trusted Advisor
7,000 Posts
Yes, Peter. In general, you will lose the data. I'm still trying to decipher what the OP's setup is. Are we talking about physically moving the hard drives from the decommissioned desktop PC to a NAS? If so, how many drives are we talking about? Was the desktop PC running Windows? Were the drives part of a spanned volume where all the drives appeared as one logical drive?

Most NAS appliances I've seen run some flavor of Linux. If the original drives were from a Windows box, likely they'll be a NTFS filesystem. The drives would have to be reformatted to NFS but that would have to be after determining the RAID level you want to run the drives under. Having the drives setup in a RAID will definitely wipe the data on the drives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts