Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I would love to know if you could help me.

I recently purchased a data internet card from alltel to plug into my laptop, it is a huawei ec360, the salesman told me before I purchase this that I could take my small belkin router the kind with the 1 Ethernet connection in and 4 out and hook up two pc's to surf simultaneously, (1 desktop and one wireless notebook) now some tech support people at alltel say this cannot work, could anyone help me get this going?, or let me know if this will in fact work? I would really appreciate this and thanks
chris

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Two choices that I can think of.

1. Find a router that works with that card; for example http://www.topglobalusa.com/product2_02.asp?newsid=20060413143304175&classid=102103102

2. Use ICS. In the following your laptop becomes the primary router, the Belkin is the secondary, and you do not need a cross-over cable between them.

JohnWill's procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello
could you break this down, in a simpler form, i mean the ics for me, maybe step by step, i do have some computer knowledge, but not much network experience.

thanks again for helping

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello
that is good info

how about the actual wiring, my card is in the laptop, I have two network cables and a router, is there anyway to break that down farther?

sorry to be ignorant, I just have never had experience with this

thanks for your time

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Connect the laptop via ethernet cable to a LAN port of the router. After you have the router configured connect other computers to the router LAN ports or via wireless.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Did you configure the router as a switch per JohnWill's procedure? If its Dhcp server is still enabled it's random whether the client computers will be networked properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.