Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator (deceased) Gone but never forgotten
47,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ideally what I would like to do is set up our PCs at work on a work group (including my Laptop), but still maintain access to my home Work group.

We are working with 1 XP Home, 1 XP Pro, and one Win 2000 if that helps.

Can someone walk me throught this?

Thanks
John

·
47,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JohnWill said:
The easy way might be to use something like NetSwitcher.
Looks good, but our budget is REALLY tight right now! :eek:

·
47,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rhynes said:
the workgroup name means nothing... why not just match the names of your workgroups and be done with it?
Ok, but can you walk me through setting one up and adding the PCs?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Right-click on My Computer | Properties | Computer Name | Change. The Computer Names have to be different, but the Workgroup can be the same.

By the way, the Workgroup name has nothing to do with security or whether you can see the other computer. It's purely for convenience. In My Network Places (or Network Neightborhood), all workgroups will appear in the list and you can access any one of them.

Courtney sends...

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
What's your starting point (current networking)?

The following will set up a Microsoft Workgroup for File and Printer Sharing assuming the PCs are already networked via router, ad-hoc wireless or Ethernet (directly or using switch or hub).

In Network and Dial-up Connections (Win 2k Pro) or Network Connections (XP) right click on your connection and select ‘Properties.’ If not already there, install or add a check mark for “Client for Microsoft Networks, “File and Printer sharing …” and “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).”

Right click on My Computer and on the Computer Name tab make sure you have a unique computer name and the workgroup name that you want to use for all computers. Change if necessary.

Restart the PC.

You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine.

If using the XP SP2 firewall: Control Panel – Windows Firewall – on the General tab it should be “On” and on the Exceptions tab “File and Printer Sharing” should be selected.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

This explains a lot to me personally. Any idea why it takes so long?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
bassetman, I trust that you are going to be a good role model by telling us what works and when, and when appropriate marking this 'solved.' :)

The BOBS Fan, read the following for technical details: http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/ntwsguide/ntwsnfinding.html

My version of that and other articles is that all the computer browsers get together and draw straws to see who gets to be Master. (Generally the "oldest" browser is the winner.) All the losers go back to their own computer and pout in a corner. Every 15 minutes or so the Master Browser sends an updated list of network computers and shared folders/files to all the other browsers, who then, and only then, give the updated info to My Network Places.

·
47,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TerryNet said:
bassetman, I trust that you are going to be a good role model by telling us what works and when, and when appropriate marking this 'solved.' :)

The BOBS Fan, read the following for technical details: http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/ntwsguide/ntwsnfinding.html

My version of that and other articles is that all the computer browsers get together and draw straws to see who gets to be Master. (Generally the "oldest" browser is the winner.) All the losers go back to their own computer and pout in a corner. Every 15 minutes or so the Master Browser sends an updated list of network computers and shared folders/files to all the other browsers, who then, and only then, give the updated info to My Network Places.
Yes I will! ;)

I plan to go to work today and give it a try! ;)

·
47,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, update:

The two XP PCs went fine, with a little further assitance from here: http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

The Win 2000 PC said I could not use the XP disk to setup the network and some other blah blah....

Net send also works fine on the XPs. FWIW. ;)

PS I can't access shared printer :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
"The two XP PCs went fine, with a little further assitance from here:"

What did I miss? I usually give my description of using the Network Setup Wizard but didn't because you said you had a Win 2k pro and "The Win 2000 PC said I could not use the XP disk."

"PS I can't access shared printer"

What PC is the shared printer connected to directly and what PC is trying to connect to it?

·
47,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TerryNet said:
"The two XP PCs went fine, with a little further assitance from here:"

What did I miss? I usually give my description of using the Network Setup Wizard but didn't because you said you had a Win 2k pro and "The Win 2000 PC said I could not use the XP disk."

"PS I can't access shared printer"

What PC is the shared printer connected to directly and what PC is trying to connect to it?
The printer is connected to the "Office" computer and I tried accessing it from the "Laptop".

Not sure I understand your other question! :(

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
In post #1 you mentioned "1 XP Home, 1 XP Pro, and one Win 2000." Now in post #14 you talk about the "Office" and "Laptop" computers. Do you now have 5 computers in play, or have you renamed some in midstream? If we knew your network including what is connected to what maybe we could give some more specific advice.

My other question was because I had given a procedure in post #7 and from your comment in post #12 I inferred that my procedure is incomplete because you found something addition you needed elsewhere. I'd like to know what that other thing(s) is(are) so that I can improve my post in the future.

·
47,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TerryNet said:
In post #1 you mentioned "1 XP Home, 1 XP Pro, and one Win 2000." Now in post #14 you talk about the "Office" and "Laptop" computers. Do you now have 5 computers in play, or have you renamed some in midstream? If we knew your network including what is connected to what maybe we could give some more specific advice.

My other question was because I had given a procedure in post #7 and from your comment in post #12 I inferred that my procedure is incomplete because you found something addition you needed elsewhere. I'd like to know what that other thing(s) is(are) so that I can improve my post in the future.
The "Office" PC is the XP Pro with the printer. The "LapTop" is XP home, and the "Bar" is the Win 2000 that's giving me the problem.

I tried to connect to the printer via the LT (XP Home).

Hope this helps.

Thanks
John

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
With the printer turned on, on the laptop please do
Start - Run - \\office - OK

where "office" is the IP address or the Computer name of the Office XP Pro computer.

After maybe a minute do you get a window with office's shares or what error message?

If you get the shares, what happens or what error message when you right click on the printer and select 'connect'?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
On the Windows 2000 have you done any part of my post #7? (At this late date don't expect Microsoft to suddenly patch it to allow XP's Network Setup Wizard. :) )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.