Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm having a a problem with my internet settings. My internetprovider specified that I have to set my DNS-codes manually to the codes that they provided. I can set them correctly and the internet works perfectly, but a few times a day my laptop (wireless internet) resets the codes to 'automaticly detect DNS'. So I have to set them time en time again.
I've tried looking in the wireless router settings to see if I could set the codes as standaard in the router, but couldn't find anything (I'm no expert in the matter, but it didn't say DNS anywhere in the settings).

So my question is: can I set them as standaard in my router somehow?
Or is there a program that can automaticly change them to the right codes with one click (so I don't have to open the settings and manually find and enter the codes). I've googled the last bit, all I could find is that DNS-hijackers can do this but they are dangerous and you can't choose to what codes they change it...

May it be of importance: I have Windows Vista SP2 Business 32bit on an Acer laptop and I have a basic knowledge of how everything works. I also have some programming experience, but only in Java (Eclipse).

Thanks in advance for your help.
If something is unclear just ask and I will try to clear it up.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Is this a modem/router?
What is the make and model?

General:
In Advanced Setup menuu. Under WAN settings, there should be place for selecting DNS type.
Usually consists of two buttons, one Dynamic DNS addresses, other Static DNS addresses. Also two boxes, one for Primary DNS Server address,and the other for Secondary DNS Server address.

You would select Static DNS and put the IP addresses in the appropriate boxes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Philips Wireless SNB6500 11b/g True Turbo (router).
The only DNS setting I can find is DDNS, but I think it's the Primary and Secondary DNS Server address that I need.

But I was thinking:
I use the internet cable that enters my apartment. But I've heard that there is a modem somewhere in the basement. Could it be that I have to change the settings there?
I'm the only one with wireless internet, the others just had to enter the DNS-codes once and never had any problems.

(Thanks for your reply)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Connect directly to the cable connection without the router and post the following information.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.