Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read something about bios and FSB but: my mother is an Asrock k7s41gx and the bios keep me change the FSB by jumper (100 mhz) and manually. If I change the FSB manually, can I damage the processor or the motherboard? :confused:
Sorry, my english is poor... i from Argentina.

·
Registered
355 Posts
yes, it is the heat that can get out of control and damage the mobo (motherboard) but with enough cooling (fans and heatsinks) this shouldnt be a problem. too high a voltage can damage it too.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
the sempron 2400+ runs at 333mhz

and the gx motherboard runs at 200/266/333 (ie 100, 133, 166) from the jumper settings on pg 14 of the manual
- you need to set it correctly for your cpu before using the manual bios setting

so, set it correctly first, then make any overclocking changes

can you hurt it:
yes, primarliy from motherbaord and/or cpu heat so make sure your cooling is good

here's some google links
google

doesn't really seem worthwhile to OC it

·
Registered
237 Posts
do you mean that your mobo is reading your Sempron as an athlon?
if so, you probably need to update your bios to a newer version which recognises the newer semprons. The fsb of Semprons is 166 so you can safely set it to that so a newer BIOS will then calculate correctly. (assuming you have 333MHz RAM)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Use the jumper on the motherboard to set the FSB to 166mhz.

Your CPU will then run at the correct speed and the motherboard should recognize it correctly.

·
Registered
355 Posts
hurrah!

·
Registered
355 Posts
called boredom man, boredom to the max.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.