Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP
Every time my husband opens his MS Internet Explorer browser window a window pops up that says "Select skin file". (It doesn't give the option to click a "do not open this window again" box). it just gives an option to look in a specific file (for the file to choose I guess??). He has to manually click the "X" to close the box. I think he accidently hit a combination of keys on the keyboard that now opens this window every time he opens his browser. Does anyone here know how I can disable this window? It is quite annoying seeing it everytime he surfs the internet. If you can help, I thank you for it.
:) :up:

·
Registered
94 Posts
RobynWolf said:
Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP
Every time my husband opens his MS Internet Explorer browser window a window pops up that says "Select skin file". (It doesn't give the option to click a "do not open this window again" box). it just gives an option to look in a specific file (for the file to choose I guess??). He has to manually click the "X" to close the box. I think he accidently hit a combination of keys on the keyboard that now opens this window every time he opens his browser. Does anyone here know how I can disable this window? It is quite annoying seeing it everytime he surfs the internet. If you can help, I thank you for it.
:) :up:
I have never heard anyhting about this... try to upload a screen shot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying...but I went into his user account this morning and looked aorund and found the problem. I will tell you this in case you ever run into anyone else who does this accidently. :rolleyes:
If you click on
View
then
Toolbars
there is a toolbar called ViewPoint (I have no idea what this is but I removed the check next to it and guess what?, the window dissappeared).
I am unsure if he installed something that installed this toolbar or I did, but this toolbar is on both of our user accounts)
Anyway, you were my choice after contacting both Microsoft and Dell who by the way .......both attributed it to Spyware. :down:
Thanks again. :D RobynWolf

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the exact problem. However I followed your steps and my ViewPoint toolbar was already unchecked.
I get the "Select Skin File" every time I open my browser, nearly always when I click on a photo and often when I click to open an email on my work's webmail. It's driving me crazy.
Earthlink doesn't seem to have any ideas what it might be and Dell seems to know and wants to charge me a fair amount of money to find out. It's been suggested it might be due to some always-running program like Windows Media or Real Play or something like that.
Any more suggestions out there?

·
Registered
464 Posts
That sounds like the Viewpoint media player that comes bundled with certain versions of AIM. Usually it's installed against the end user's will, even though they did give consent. If you don't use it Start\Control Panel\Add-Remove Programs and remove it. It's not needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.