Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing my modem is such a drag, I'm afraid to ever take it off again. Its and eiger pci winmodem (internal) and it never gets recognized by windows. I always have to select it for instalation. Then I am told to select com port 1 or 2 or printer port, none of which will work since it an internal pci slot device. The only way I ever get it in is to install it in com 1 or 2, which doesn't work, and then sometimes it will find it and allow a second install which it assigns to 'com port 5', and then delete the first install.
How can I choose com 5, or some other appropriate site for a pci device?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their directions aren't helping much. They assume the installation will be normal, either a detection during startup, or if you issue the command to install the modem, that Windows will know what port to use.
I suppose to be honest I should say that the process was a little easier after I removed some garbage (phantom) devices from the pci connection in the device manager. They were probably failed attempts to recognize the modem. But Windows still required me to install a non-working version of the modem on Com 1 before it would recognize and install on what it calls "com 5".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.