Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was going to ask if anyone knew of any good secure remote desktop programs for windows xp. We have a home network and we were running Real VNC to connect our laptop to our desktop downstairs. We really liked it, but we got several viruses on our desktop that we have been working with the kind users in the security forum to eliminate.

Thanks to the users in the security forum (namely D_Troganator) we were able to get rid of the viruses, but we also had to get rid of Real VNC.

I guess I am just wondering if there is any program out there that would work like Real VNC, but also be secure. Thanks for your time. It is, as always, appreciated!

Leafer

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that would be one option I guess. However, the virus gained access to the computer through the VNC so I am hesitant to reinstall it because I don't feel that it is secure. I was wondering if there were other more secure programs that were similar to Real VNC.

Thanks for your response,
Leafer

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
I don't know what RealVNC had to do with your Virus Problems. If you are just using it to remote into computers on your Lan then there shouldn't be a problem. From what I read the Free version of Real VNC does not support encryption. I use UltraVNC and the free version does support encryption. But again, if you are just using this locally on your lan then it really doesn't make a difference. I would only really be concerned about that if you are remoting into your computers from the Internet.

You have other issues on computers on your network if there are viruses accessing other computers on your network.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, I guess I see your point. The computer that had the Virus also had a Remote Admin program. It probably had little or nothing to do with the VNC. Thanks for your comments!

Leafer

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
do you have an upto date virus scanner - spyware programs like ad-aware, spybot and spywareblaster
also a firewall

they are all available free - let us know what you have and we can give details and links

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.