Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have:

a 200gig hdd - currently running, but recognized as a 137gig hdd - only about 30gig used.

i have a 250gig hdd - about half full - not recognised at all at the moment.

Trying to get 48bit lba big harddrive recognition for both to run as meant to...

If I change the registry entries to allow this, is it going to kill my hardrives? is it possible to do it and run both and not have to format either of them?

Help... :)

Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You need to install at least SP1 for XP to recognize the full sized disks. Also, your BIOS has to be late 2002 or better. You will not lose anything on the disks if you upgrade to the proper capability.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I downloaded SP6 - with the specific stuff to allow for large hdd's.

Do I still need to get all service packs prior to this?

Just need to know if making the reg changes will bugger my current layout.
should I re-partition first through the logical manager?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
SP6? What version of Windows are you running?

Does the motherboard recognise the full capacity of the hard drives? If it doesn't then you need to update the motherboard's BIOS.

To get the full drive size you will need to either repartition the drive or use a Disk utility like Partition Magic to resize the existing partition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running Windows 2000.

ummm, how do you update the BIOS? (that hurts to ask that...)

The 200gig is only recognized as a 137gig - and that is only because it was a new HDD and had to format it to get it recognized. The 250 I am trying to access, is full of stuff that I can't wipe, and so do not want to format it to get into it. Have got the SP6 downloaded and installed with the LBA update - but have not made the registry changes yet, for fear of losing the info I already have accessible on the 200 gig.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
SP6 for W2K? Last thing I saw was SP4! If you load SP4 and change the registry variable, you should not lose any info, at least due to that update. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.