Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some unknown reason this morning, my win98SE machine won't perform a successful search. I enter something to search for and all I get is the "done" in the box. I hit refresh and it does the same thing. Doesn't matter what subject I search for. Any suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Are you talking about Internet Explorer? IF so, try an IE repair first.
Go to Control Panel>add remove Programs Scroll to the Internet Explorer evtry and click Remove
Three choices will appear. Choose Repair.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your response. I tried that first but my search still won't search--not even for yahoo as an example. Microsoft is the only search engine that I can apparently use.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, that didn't work either!! I tried all 4 options and English is the chosen language. What next coaches?? Don't know if a O should appear before the words "Search from the address bar" but the words would hilite when I clicked on them.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
That's a Radio Button which you clock on with the mouse to choose that particular option. I have been looking for an answer nd cannot find one. But if this happened within the last 4 days try to restore a previous registry.

Start your computer and Hold the Ctrl Button down until you see the black boot menu. Choose Command Prompt only
At the C:\>

type scanreg /restore Press enter
There's a space after the word scanreg

Choose a registry from right before this started.

All other changes will be lost since that date.

See if it will search now.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mosaic1:
I am trying to find what changes or installs I may have made on my PC in the last couple of days before I consider the scanreg /restore so that I can re-do those things. (I don't use the search feature very often and can't say for sure when this feature stopped working.) I have configsafe on my PC and I restored it to 11-22 but that did not cure the problem, so I assume the problem began before 11-22!! After using configsafe, some changes were made, so I know it worked.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PUZZLED?? Strange, but on the toolbar(?) at top of screen I can click on the Search "globe" and I get the smaller window on the left side of the screen and I can enter a search there effectively!! I get results but I do notice that MSN is the ONLY search engine and I have no choice for any other search engine. Didn't we use to have other search engine options? MSN was my ISP before I went to DSL/BellSouth. I have also found that I can click on a link in the drop-down in the address box and go back to that site. I simply do NOT get any results when I enter a new search in the address box. Yahoo, for example, will get me nothing and yet if I click on Search "globe" and I get the small window on the left side and enter Yahoo, I get results!! I don't recall changing anything on the toolbar. Just thought you would want to know about this.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. Just did a quick look at the options in the small window and found other search engines listed. I did not know this feature had been added/changed:eek: Still don't understand why I can't use the address box effectively.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tony"s reply was to check that item. It was NOT checked before.
Which should I do?:confused:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mosaic1:
I have had the IE5 Web Accesssories installed for many months now. Never used it though!!
I went back to Advanced in Internet Options and un-checked the Do Not Search from the Address Bar. Had to then check something so I chose "Just show the results" or something like that--the last of the 4 options is where I put the . in the radio button.
I will look at your last suggestion tomorrow because this has been a long long day. I greatly appreciate your attempts to help me and I will be back!! (To quickly re-state what I have already said--whatever site name I enter into the address bar, I only get "done" at the bottom of the screen, hitting refresh I get the same "done". I never get a hit on the link I want to go to.) G'nite!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
buf,
It has been a long day. I can disable the Search bar on the left, but not Search from the address bar unless I check that advanced option. I do,however, still get an error page when that is in effect.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really feel frustrated. I now have Google icon in the links>>on my IE5.01SP2 search window and so I tested it to see if I could search for Yahoo but I only got the "done" at the bottom of the screen!! Thanks for the suggestion Tony. Rollin Rog's suggestion-I didn't find that sp.dll in msconfig/startup.
Mosiac1, appreciate the link to the MS Web Accessories for IE and I may play some more with it. I know you people must get tired answering such questions from those of us who seem to always need help with out PCs and I just want you to know that I, for one, genuinely appreciate it. Someday I hope to be a "giver" and not always a "taker" for this info. Like I say tho, I don't use the search feature very often so there is no telling how long it has been mis-behaving. We also have a Win95b PC for my wife and she is having trouble getting links to open when she clicks on them--sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Ironic??!! Of course, I perform all maintenance on both PCs and so I may have just done something to both of them to cause them to act up.
I did quiet a bit of reading in the MS KB articles about this problem and in Q278931 and Q221754 there was discussion about IE/Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and the Search section. Very interesting reading there and I think you might find it to be also.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I generally use Google. Not from the adress bar. Which version of IE are you running? I use IE 6 and did all the performed I could think of about a dizen times yesterday. I went into the registry and monitored while a search was being performed from the address bar. I cannot duplicate your problem. I am not sure if that's because I use IE 6 or if I am missing something.

I also looked all lover the internet and couldn't find anything. You found a great article at Microsoft. Slelecting Do not search from the address bar is not logical. But they say to do it because of a change in the way the searches are performed. Did you try that again?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, I tried the MS KB "Do not search from the address bar" selection and I still got nothing:confused:
I have IE 5.01SP2 and have had great results using it--so much so, I don't want to change or have at least resisted the temptation to upgrade. In fact, the Win95b also has the same IE.

Strange, but using Google, I can search for our site(Tech Guy) and get it or other forums I am a member of. Using MS, I get bupkis--Nada--zero--nothing.!! Use use Google but how can I set it as my default search engine WITHOUT installing their toolbar? Is that possible? Guess I will just hit the links>> BEFORE I start a search--perhaps that is the easiest way.
Hey, I see your posts a lot on this forum and I am glad to see that you are willing to help us.:D Thanks a heap.

BTW, I may have mis-led you in the first paragraph of my last post. I can use Google to find Yahoo!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.