Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many ideas you are still taking for hacks, and I'm not sure what will be available in vB3, but something that would be really nice on the search form would be the ability to keep forums out of the search area and select only certain forums, say only a specific two or three forums, or search everywhereon the site but the community section, etc.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I mean having the option to choose only 2 or 3 boards, for example, search only in "all other software" and "Win NT/2K/XP" which are in different groups, instead of just one, or just one ground of boards, which is what option there is currently. Or, search everywhere on the site except random.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well....it's not really a big deal. It's just with google, I get all into the boolean search terms and am able to narrow down my search so specifically, and get annoyed having to sift past all the entries in the search results from random, for example.

Well, now that think about it, I can just use google and search only in "http://forums.techguy.org" and subtrack "random" or include "all other software" and "Win NT/2K/XP" and accomplish what I am trying to do. But if it's easy to instill here, it would be nice. But then again, I may be the only one that would use it.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Searhing witin search results would be a nice feature and to select multiple items from the dropdown list. I hear where you are coming from now. Most of the BBS systems have very simple search features. Maybe Mike would pay for a Google site search engine...:)

·
Administrator
15,306 Posts
VB3 will have any more options as far as this goes -- specifically, it will allow you to ctrl-click on the list of forums to choose where you want to search. Also, it has a much better backend for the search system, which will allow searching for special short words (like xp, nt, 2k, 98). I've been working on it every night... if things keep going the way they are, we may be doing the switch over in less than a week!!!! :)

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Rockn:
Searhing witin search results would be a nice feature and to select multiple items from the dropdown list. I hear where you are coming from now. Most of the BBS systems have very simple search features. Maybe Mike would pay for a Google site search engine...:)
oh yes....searching within results is a good one.....:up:

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by TechGuy:
VB3 will have any more options as far as this goes -- specifically, it will allow you to ctrl-click on the list of forums to choose where you want to search.
Exactly what I was thinking. What about being able to exclude boards? For instance, searching every board except random?

·
Administrator
15,306 Posts
Yup, you can choose all but one board if you want. Searching within results isn't an option yet. Will be posting a thread shortly about some key differences. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.