Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seagate hdd that contains data as well as windows 10 installed and when I attach it to me computer it turns on during boot up, I hear the arm clicking back and forth, but then it stops and my computer doesn't register that its on. How do I keep it from turning off? Is it even possible to connect a hdd that contains an installed windows on it?

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
Is it even possible to connect a hdd that contains an installed windows on it?
Yes, however booting from that drive is problematic. It will not boot [usually] unless you follow the procedure outlined at the top of the h/w forum for this task.
I hear the arm clicking back and forth
This is often referred to as the "Click of death" The drive is probably failing however you can test it as outlined below.

The very first thing I would do would be to test the drive with the seatools boot disk or usb.
Here is a link for seatools for dos or boot;
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Make the bootable usb or cd. Boot your system from that disk and run both short and long tests. Note the long test may take a while depending on the size of the drive. If the drive passes ALL tests, you can clean install windows on the drive or whatever you want with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.