Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's what happened:

I was configuring my router, so I went to portforward.com and got my external IP address. I typed that in, and then I changed my router from Gateway to Bridged, but I think something went wrong because it never finished loading and then my internet just stopped working.

I'm using a Mac OS X right now, and I have both Windows and Mac on it. That all happened on the Windows section. I'm on the Mac part right now, and I configured my Internet to somehow work using system preferences. However, the Internet still doesn't work on Windows.

So er, I'm really confused right now. I think I screwed up my router, because I can't even access it anymore using the external IP address.

Can anyone help me out with this problem and tell me what I have to do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Yes, resetting it will require a total reconfiguration. OTOH, if the router's configuration is really scrambled, there may be no other way to recover.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can you access it from your local IP address? I don't know about this router but when I have setup modems in the past to bridge the connection (I assume thats what you are doing) The modem is not configurable anymore until its had a hard reset.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Never heard about portforward.com. Router config is simple enough if you follow the manual instructions. I suggest resetting the whole thing and starting from scratch. Most important things in my opinion to configure:

1. Turn off SSID broadcast
2. Enable MAC address filtering
3. Enable WPA2 security (required to do this on router AND pc/notebooks)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah, well, using the sliding chain lock on my front door won't stop a determined intruder, but for some reason I find myself locking it every night before I go to bed. Of course, I also have a double keyed deadbolt and Brinks security with motion and glass breakage sensors, but that stupid little chain lock still gets used...... :)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Yeah, well, using the sliding chain lock on my front door won't stop a determined intruder, but for some reason I find myself locking it every night before I go to bed. Of course, I also have a double keyed deadbolt and Brinks security with motion and glass breakage sensors, but that stupid little chain lock still gets used...... :)
However, your particular paranoia shouldn't extend to common sense solutions for others. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.