Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reformatted my hard drive with win98se but the screen resolution in the display panel won't work. Everything else is working. In the device manager there is no yellow question mark anywhere. What is wrong?

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
If you have reformatted, you have lost the drivers for your display adapter.

It will be using the Windows default one (so it shows as working OK) but that does not allow you to set the correct resolution.

You need to determine exactly what graphics (display) adapter you have, download and install the drivers for it.

You can run a program such as Everest from here if you do not know:
http://www.lavalys.com/

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
Mlum said:
I just reformatted my hard drive with win98se but the screen resolution in the display panel won't work. Everything else is working. In the device manager there is no yellow question mark anywhere. What is wrong?
Right Click My Computer and Click Properties

Now go to Device Manager

Click the cross of Display Adapter, what does it say?

You should be looking at the model of the display device you have. Please write it down and post it here so we can tell you where to download the dirvers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I looked in the "Device Manager" and in the "Display Adpater" it said "sis 530". I went the the SIS site and downloaded the driver and I still can't get the screen resolution to work but all the colors are working. I even ran that "Everest" program too check the display adapter and came out with the same thing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I know I dl & installed IE6 a couple months ago, but I'm having trouble making out the small print (text) it's kind'a broken-up. Also, when I click on a link it freezes at first then, when the page opens the pictures & everything else stretch themselves when you scroll it. Looks like rubber bands stretched to the limit. Anyone know how I can fix this? When you get a chance. Thanks. :up: Oh, man, sorry, this is a new thread, didn't mean it as a reply.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the compaq/HP site for technical help and so far after 5 different suggestions to include downloading drivers, I still can't get the screen resolution to work. I have heard that compaq is the worst computer to work with. Even if that's not true, I'm starting to believe that it is.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The compaq/HP site gave me the download links for the video adapter and for the monitor based on computer model and seriel number and it still not working but I get all the colors working.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.