Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running Windows XP on an e-machines laptop that is almost four years old. The laptop is not a good computer and has been sent back for repairs multiple times to fix an overheating problem but I do not think that is related to my current problem.

When I start the computer it takes a very long time to get to the user accounts page. When I am finally able to click on my account it takes about an hour to move to the next screen which is just my wallpaper. There are no icons and no Windows Start button in the bottom left corner. Just the wallpaper. Right clicking gets no response but when I move the mouse around the arrow does move. I tried putting a DVD into the disc drive to see if that would read and it didn't. The keyboard is not responding at all.

The only way to shut down the computer is to hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. I've done this a couple of times (spaced out by about a day or two) and still get the same results. My only hope is that there is some sort of fix I can run while Windows XP is booting up. I really only need this computer to remote access into my work computer so all I need is an internet connection, my secure ID and some antivirus software. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

ps I just checked it and a very basic version of the start menu has appeared (after leaving the computer on for 12 hours!) but when I try to click on anything the computer does not allow me to and kind of freezes up.
Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.