Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a windows ME emachine 700 mghz intel celeron. why is it that whenever i scandisk it takes me at least 5 hours to do so? even when i close all my running programs, it still takes too long. with defragg., it keeps restarting and takes me 2 hours just to finish.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You most likely have something running in the background. If there is anything running, it will be visible with Ctrl-Alt-Delete. The only things that absolutely need to be there are Explorer and Systray. Try removing everything else and try again.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Hi ichirosan,
Try evilmrhenry's suggestion, also check to make sure scandisk does not have the "thorough scan" box checked. It wil take considerably longer if this is checked.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
make sure you have disabled the screensaver.

Savvy :)

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I'd suggest running defrag from SafeMode especially with Windows ME. That will eliminate anything that's "running" in the background. It's not always possible to do that from Normal mode since alot of things running are processes and not application programs persay and you can't end them using the CloseProgram dialog box.

To get into SafeMode, restart the PC and then press and hold down the Ctrl key during the boot up. You need to press and hold it prior to the Windows splash screen. You should see a menu appear. Select the option for "SafeMode". Run your defrag and then restart Windows to get back into Normal mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.