Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew how to save/maintain the spatial layout of icons in a folder (Windows XP Pro)? I've seen threads about saving/restoring icon layouts on the desktop, but not within any given folder. I'm pretty spatially-oriented and that would be great if it was possible. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rainforest123,

Many thanks for responding. I am running Service Pack 2. And I am using the 'Icons' view with the 'Align to grid' arrangement.

I seem to lose the spatial layout of my icons (in a specific folder) when I reboot or if my computer goes to stand by. I can close the folder and come back to it in a few minutes and it'll still be laid out, but when I come back the next day it's all clumped together again. Like what happens to your desktop icons when resizing the monitor resolution.

I have for years arranged my often-used icons (folder, word, excel, pdf, etc.) in rows manually (accord to my knowledge of the project they relate to) on my desktop. So I'll have 6 or 7 rows each with 2-8 files in row. For example:

xxxxxx
xxxxx
xxx
xxxxx
xx

This works fine on the desktop, as spatial layout of icons seems to be remembered (except when resizing resolution). But my desktop has started getting super crowded, so I wanted to move this filing system into a folder, but can get the folder to remember the layout for very long.

Thank you for those links, the closest thing they mentioned to it was:

"All Versions: Sort It Yourself To arrange a folder's items manually, choose any view except List or Details, and then drag and drop items (or groups of items that you select by Ctrl-clicking them) to get the arrangement you prefer. To keep your files in nice, neat rows and columns, click the View menu or right-click inside the folder and choose Arrange Icons by, Auto Arrange (provided that it isn't already checked)."

But the icons won't stay laid out. The closest thing I've found to it online are threads about saving and restoring desktop file arrangement. But none for doing the same with in a folder.

Am I asking too much from a folder? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.