Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where to view/download a manual for my motherboard?
It is a Syntax S845GE.
My real issue, is trying to upgrade the memory above 768 MB. I have recently purchased 3 different sticks, all 1 gig pc2700.
All of them cause windows to blue screen before it will boot. I am able to get into the cmos setup, but it will not verify the amount of ram installed. If I try to reload windows, it gives an error that windows xp needs atleast 64MB of memory.
I am almost sure this motherboard will support 2 GB of ram, but I am wondering if I may need to change a jumper.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
The board number you posted, i.e. S845GE gives me reason to feel confident that the board is either one of the standard Intel 845 series boards that used the 845GE chipset and the machine manufacturer just changed the Intel designation from a D845 series to a S845 series, OR, a manufacturer proprietary board built on an Intel 845 series board.

I ASSUME that the machine would boot prior to trying to install the additional memory. If this is correct, install the old memory, and proceed with the following instructions.

There are a couple of things you can do to determine if the board is a standard Intel board, or a manufacturer proprietary board.

1st download the Intel Chipset ID Utility to your desktop, and launch the application. It will immediately identify the chipset if it is an Intel chipset.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/det...id=861&dwnldid=7961&agr=y&lang=eng&prdmap=861

After you identify the chipset, reboot the machine and when it is booting continuously tap the F2 key to access BIOS. When BIOS opens you will see a group of numbers, for example a group such as RG84510A.86A.0033.P17 Post the complete group of numbers displayed. These numbers are called your BIOS string, and will determine if the board is a standard or proprietary board.

If the board is a standard Intel board it should be relatively easy to find the board manual at the Intel site. If the board is a manufacturer proprietary board, then you would need to get the board information from the machine's manufacturers site.

Although the 845 series boards were designed to support up to 2Gb. of memory, most were never validated to support 2Gb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.