Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
From what I can tell, that particular runtime error doesn't have a general meaning. My guess is that it's due to some prob in the software.
Maybe you could tell us how you are installing it (cd?), where you are installing it to (path), does it error on all computers or just yours, your OS, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, here's what's up, I'm a tech support guy for Learnkey, and I'm running into this error with one of our customers. I've serched everywhere, and all I can find is some information on trojan horse viruses. The customer doesn't have a virus, and I've gone through everything... Uninstall reinstall, checking the registry, and reinstalling audio and video drivers, and I'm stumped. This error comes up during the install, any idea if it's a conflict with another program?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
What OS?
Could it be related to permissions somehow? Depending on the OS, have them log on as Admin.
Can they try installing to a different directory? a different computer?
Have they tried a different CD?
Does the error appear immediately when starting the install or is it at some other point during?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Please answer the above questions but I'm going to throw out some other random things I've found with other software:
1. Make sure Regional Settings are set to English (United States).
2. One was related to Microsoft ActiveX - maybe reinstall/repair IE????
3. Make sure they cleaned out their HD (scandisk, temp files, cache, etc).

But, really, this is something your QA or Development team should be looking at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the OS is 98 and this only happens on this computer. the CD's work fine on any other. I've had him clear out the temp internet folders, and run scandisk. The error always comes up at the same place.
Oh, and about the development team... they're "too busy" to look at it. that's why I came here.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Of course they're 'too busy' - they always are! (used to do tech support for a software company also)
I suppose if the customer gets pissed off enough, they might just want a direct phone number to development or something... wouldn't want that! (hint, hint)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.