Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a suggestion about running scan disc when I took off all the things running in background and ran scan disc it did it in under 45 min. also ran Norton defrag (Speed disc) and it shot through in under 6 minuets. (Do this by pressing, alt-cntrl-del and take every app off except Explorer and Systray.)I discovered this when I saw that scan disc could never complete it's operation and the same problem was happening with all the new Symantec features.

Question;
What is the purpose of a Windows app called "scan registry" I notice it is among the startup programs when I view start up from MS CONFIG. I would like to remove it from the startup program list - do you think that is a good idea??
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
37,798 Posts
Hiya and Welcome

Good tip. As for the scan registry, you need to keep this on. What this does is scan your system at startup and backs your registry up. This is needed in case you need to restore your system.

To see what I mean, reboot to DOS and at the prompt type the following. There is a space before the /

scanreg /restore

There are a load of dates. If you ever have problems, you can restore the system back to how it was prior to the problem this way.

Regards

eddie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.