Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Exactly that.

RS-232 is a serial [now legacy] data connection. Used for many many many years. RS-232 and RS-422 are still used in many areas including industrial applications.

Years ago I installed an RS232/422 interface via fiber for SCADA controllers. This was done in an area where there was WAY too much EMI/RFI for copper, and the distance was long. [It was an aluminum refinery.]

LuxLink, Blackbox, Alcatel, many other companies still make the interfaces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O111111O said:
Exactly that.

RS-232 is a serial [now legacy] data connection. Used for many many many years. RS-232 and RS-422 are still used in many areas including industrial applications.

Years ago I installed an RS232/422 interface via fiber for SCADA controllers. This was done in an area where there was WAY too much EMI/RFI for copper, and the distance was long. [It was an aluminum refinery.]

LuxLink, Blackbox, Alcatel, many other companies still make the interfaces.
ok so that means you connect the fiber to the back of a rs232 connector and you plug it into where you need to?

sorry i just like things explained to me like a dummy :p
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
106,726 Posts
The RS-232 connection goes into a converter which interfaces with the fiber. One of those is at each end of the RS-232 run, and the fiber carries the information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnWill said:
The RS-232 connection goes into a converter which interfaces with the fiber. One of those is at each end of the RS-232 run, and the fiber carries the information.
awesome, thats what i thought.

Thanks guys :up:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Sorry, should have been more forthright.

System Control and Data Acquisition. Program interface was RS422 [similar to RS232], however the SCADA controller was about a mile away from the system it was gonna talk to.

SCADA's a fairly generic term, and is widely used. I still use SCADA today in datacenters to control machines such as chillers, pumps, generators, CRAC's, etc. Only difference is that 90% of it is Ethernet now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O111111O said:
Sorry, should have been more forthright.

System Control and Data Acquisition. Program interface was RS422 [similar to RS232], however the SCADA controller was about a mile away from the system it was gonna talk to.

SCADA's a fairly generic term, and is widely used. I still use SCADA today in datacenters to control machines such as chillers, pumps, generators, CRAC's, etc. Only difference is that 90% of it is Ethernet now.
Oh wow, do you have a website of your company?
Sounds like what we do at our company but for a different purpose. We make control systems also ran by rs232 & ethernet, but it for controlling cameras and antennas at remote sites for News stations.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top